Where are you trying to build an audience?

Tom Jacquesson
19 replies
What's the most important place online for you to create an audience as a maker? Why?

Replies

Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
Great question. We're mainly focusing on PH, social media (LI, Twitter, FB), as well as trying to be featured in some newsletters/articles.
Tom Jacquesson
@lior_galante_cohen How do you grow your PH audience?
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
@tomjacquesson getting to know people in the community, participating and creating discussions, and connecting with fellow makers. You can also launch a Ship page :)
Alexey Shashkov
Hi, again, Thomas. The most important place for me is Twitter. I don't know why, but I feel my audience (startup founders/SaaS makers/indie hackers) lives there.
ᗰᗩ᙭ ᒍ.
I feel like the best place to build an audience is on your own platform of sorts whether a blog, newsletter, app, whatever, but something where you actually own the database.
Tom Jacquesson
@max15 that's an interesting take But how do you drive people to that blog/NL/app? Only through SEO?
ᗰᗩ᙭ ᒍ.
@tomjacquesson Free publications are good especially when your product has a network effect...
We haven't launched yet but it'll be Twitch for us as that's where are initial target customers are. But we'll be using Twitter heavily - it's often the secondary platform that Twitch streamers use to promote their streams. As mentioned already we do intend to supplement with our own content via a blog as well as repurpose some of our Twitch content on Youtube.
Tom Jacquesson
@maxwellcdavis curious to see what that product is! We're working on something for Youtubers.
@tomjacquesson We'll be sharing what it is around late December/Early Jan :)
Swapnil Vats
We are a creator economy product - so we've been building audience on instagram. Medium blogs have been working out well, so have discord/reddit communities for us. Also, Launched today on PH :D The future is going to be community led growth.
Rahul Jain
We are a creator economy product (SaaS) and our prime customers are on Instagram. But, that being said we do not want to rely entirely on Facebook. So, our approach is - 1. Generate and share a lot of free content on Instagram to get people interested in what we are building. We use Insta lives, reels, posts and stories to deliver it. 2. Once people start following us, we try to get them to join the SocialBoat free but private community. Over here we give access to exclusive lives, premium content & AMAs. 3. Once people are interested in the free community, we try to get them to convert to the next funnel step, which is use our product. This way we run a subtle nurture campaign with our customers and they gradually enter the ecosystem.
Tom Jacquesson
@rahul_2992 Sound approach. Makes a lot of sense for your target audience.I think there might be stuff we can do together, sending you a DM on your LinkedIn (your Twitter DMs are closed).
Rahul Jain
@tomjacquesson Absolutely. Got your message. Let me reply on LinkedIn.
Sofya Narbut
Great question, Thomas! 1. We are really focused on growing on twitter, it feels like twitter is the new linkedin. A lot of professionals from product and design teams there. 2. We are experimenting with attracting a design audience on Instagram 3. Design inspiration websites gave us a huge boost in the waitlist 4. Right here, on Product Hunt!
Misha Krunic
For me - ProductHunt and similar platforms and social media (mostly Twitter and LinkedIn).
Today it's Twitter + Product hunt + Dribbble. Trying our best to create valuable content.
Sheida Mirjahani
I'm trying to make friends on Twitter and it's interesting that people actually pay attention to DMs and you can start a conversation with them.
ARPIT PANDEY
Facebook and other niche communities