When you build, how far ahead do you plan?

Paul VanZandt
4 replies
When building a product, feature, or bug fix, how far ahead do you usually plan your roadmap?

Replies

Dylan Merideth
This has been contentious, but as a rule of thumb, given the scope and size of our company (2 folks) we can be more adaptive, and go quarter by quarter, so 3 months. From my days in big corporate though, a rule of thumb I used was to ask for 33% (1/3) more time than you actually need from the governance committee, tell no one about this except product/project leadership, and go from there. In my experience, underpromise-overdeliver, and things generally take as much time as you say they are going to take. I think there's some "law" that states this in clearer terms
krogerfeed
Begin considering the budget from the very moment you start thinking about building your house. Develop a realistic idea of how much you can afford to spend and how much it will cost to build a new home. The budgeting phase is really about balancing your wants with a realistic assessment of what you can afford. rapidfs
Mark Wellman
We have a long-term roadmap but we focus on highest priority items in 3 month chunks. From there, we identify what will have the biggest impact to put into our weekly sprints.
Kazimieras Melaika
Basically, we're planning 2 rounds in advance. We're working on product round 1 (the one we're going to launch) right now and we already have many features we will be adding after our release (round 2 and round 3). Btw, we’re launching in late May. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed health tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.