When to Launch on Product Hunt?

Maxwell Davis
7 replies
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker on PH - mostly just looking at all the amazing things people are launching! Earlier in the year I finally found a developer that wanted to team up with me to launch a product. We're making something that's designed for Twitch streamers (as an extension) but we intend to launch for other streaming platforms and then a web based version. We're focusing on the features in that unexploited streaming niche before we start to compete with the big boys in what we're calling the general public market with our web-based version. Having looked back through other PH launches of Twitch products and Twitch Extensions the success seems to be very limited. We're ok holding back until we've got the later version (6-12months post first launch) just wondering what people thought in terms of pros and cons?

Replies

Anna Mandziuk πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
I just read a post of @margarita_s88 yesterday, and she had to say this on timing: Picking the right day of the week was important. They say, "choose Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday if you want to get more eyeballs on your product, and weekend if you want less competition". Monday and Friday are kind of "in-between". I recommend reading the whole thing, Margarita shares many valuable tips there: https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Margarita Shvetsova
@anna_mandziuk thanks Anna! :) Though in the case of Maxwell's product and situation, the question goes beyond the timing and is more complex.
Matthew Johnson
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want a bunch of new paid users, but you don't think that will happen with the current version, then maybe wait. But if you just want to get something out there and start getting early adopters and feedback, then launch now. You can always launch again in 6-12 months.
David J. Kim
@mattcrail I'd say it's almost mandatory that you have a free demo/free version/beta signup available for your product to launch on producthunt. If you can't let people access your product immediately (like with us), then you'll have to explain as best as you can. Here's a good example (product required waitlist signup) https://www.producthunt.com/post...
@mattcrail It's two different markets really - the initial release will be focused on Twitch streamers (a limited market), whilst the second major release will be for non-streaming users which is much more broad but unlikely to pay for any premium features (in fact we plan on dumbing down the offering so we don't compete with ourselves). Our focus for that second release is going to be volume based and a free model (ads based).
@mattcrail @between_team - interesting and this may explain why I've seen other Twitch related products perform poorly on Product Hunt - because there are only going to be a few users on PH that are going to either be streamers or use Twitch on a regular basis.
Neal Woolery
Great to hear about your plans! One of the key advantages of waiting is that you'll have time to thoroughly refine your product based on user feedback, ensuring a more polished experience when you venture into the general market. On the downside, delaying the launch may allow competitors to fill the niche you've identified, potentially making it harder for you to gain traction later on.