When do you put video on / off for Zoom?

Richard Fang
28 replies
Or whatever video meeting service you use :) Just wanted to hear some thoughts when you think you should put video on and off

Replies

masaru kita
It's basically ON, but it depends on the size of the meeting! or when I smoke to avoid getting caught! haha
Abel G. weldu
Mostly off. Except when it is a first time meet up with a potential client or interviewing a candidate.
Richard Fang
@abel_product Mm yeah fair points - interviews are definitely one of the key events that I always have my cam on
Misha Krunic
Hi, Richard! In my case, it really depends. If I'm a part of a larger meeting (25+ attendees) then I turn it on only when I'm talking. If it's a smaller meeting it goes on a case by case basis. Cheers!
Richard Fang
@price2spy Very true - in large meetings I actually keep it off unless I need to talk. I feel like there's not much value going on if I do have my video on 😂
Shashank
It's a good idea to keep it on. It's hard to talk to blank screens as body language plays a big part in communication.
Kristina Longmuir
I usually join a meeting with camera OFF. Once I'm in and see if others are in attendance, I will turn it on. Occasionally I need to address something off camera and I may turn it off again to go handle that item and put it back on when I return to focus on the meeting.
Derek Duban
On if their's is on, unless I know them personally, then always on.
Dimitris Karavias
Always on. Only exception is if the connection's bad.
Richard Fang
@dkaravias Funny enough this happens a lot in Australia LOL
Jake Strouse
Off if there are more than a few people in the call. If I can blend into the background of faceless people on a call, I will do that.
Benoit Chambon
Just a few specific moments when I turn the video off (when I blow my nose (because I'm sick), when I receive a short urgent call and I don't want (out of politeness) my interlocutor to think that I don't care about our call, etc...)
Arsen Ibragimov
I always stay on because in these covid times it is good to see each other :) btw do you have any lifehacks or tweaks using Zoom? I posted mine here https://bit.ly/3nyq2Ne I'm curious what do you think about them and pls feel free to share yours!
Ben
I always have video on. Sometimes though, its refreshing to have an actual phone call 👏
Matthew Browne
For me - lockdown has really made me change my behaviour to have video always on, makes the calls feel so much more personable
Richard Fang
@matthew_browne1 True - I think we've changed how we approached video calls with the pandemic lockdowns!
Richard Fang
@matthew_browne1 Also congrats on Upflowy! I still need to check out your tool properly (Steward reached out to me about this!)
Jui Pandya
For me, its on and off. And I created a product for better controlling turning on and off https://www.goboop.io/
Ahmed J
Usually, like most people who answered, I enter the meeting with my camera off and turn it on if others have it on. Considering we're currently working in a start-up, I'm a big fan of having brainstorming sessions and important discussions with the camera on. It's difficult to build a strong company culture when most of us never met in person yet, so seeing live reactions during debates/discussions is important in my opinion.
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
Always on! I don't feel like I can truly engage when my video is off.