What WFH gives you and what takes you from?

Evelina Radoycheva
11 replies
We all know what are the benefits of working from home. And we are pretty much aware of the challenges that come with it. Recently, I bumped into an interesting post on social media. Someone shared that one of the biggest benefits of WFH for them is that they don't have to walk past people to get to the bathroom several times a day. So, I'm asking, besides the trivial things like flexibility, no commuting, productivity boost, and feeling isolated, what WFH gives you and what takes you from?

Replies

Denis Shabanov
Thank you for creating this discussion! Recently I faced with the same question, when I was developing a service to find a remote job in the USA (you can look it up here - ucanremote.com). After reading a lot of articles, I have identified several reasons that make people work remotely: 1. Flexible work schedule - you get more free time to spend with your family or on yourself 2. Work from anywhere - you can work not only from home but literally anywhere: from a cafรฉ, a pool, or even anywhere in the world. 3. No dress code - you can work without pants ;) 4. New skills - You will learn new communication techniques and project management skills to bridge the physical gap between you and your team members. You'll also definitely have to learn project management skills and tightly control your workday. 5. Saving money - Saving on travel and lunch at work Hope my answer helped you)
Evelina Radoycheva
@dashabanov thanks for your input. About #3, some people think that dressing up get you in the right mindset for work and improves your productivity. Have you noticed any difference?
Denis Shabanov
@eve_rad I think dressing up before work is just part of the ritual where we tune our brain for work=) In working from home, you can tune out in other ways, like listening to certain music or furnishing your workspace.
Cris Barbs
WHF gives me more time to spend with my fam more rather than spending my time commuting and I can go out anywhere I want or be at my fave coffee shop while working. Since I am working EST, it takes away my 8hrs of sleep.
Paul VanZandt
I think schedule flexibility and personal priorities are the biggest advantages I get from WFH. The biggest disadvantage is probably working alone most of the time and not making it into the city as much as I'd like.
Luka Vasic
WFH gives me more free time and more of a flexible schedule so I can organize my work around my day not the other way around. But it is hard to stay motivated sometimes because when I don't see my coworkers for a while I lose my drive.
Enola VEDOVOTTO
I can more easily organize my work time and my personal life without being stressed! I can also work from where I want, in short I feel much more free ! can also jog to work and sleep longer and that's great And you ?
Nik Hazell
Work from anywhere is such a huge benefit. I was working in a ski-town last week - with a couple of hours on the snow before each morning! ๐Ÿ™Œ
Evelina Radoycheva
@nik_hazell must have been lots of fun! I know that a lot of digital nomads go to Bansko, Bulgaria in winter because of the snow.
Sergio Zaciu
I think the pros are sorta obvious (or at least mentioned below), but two negatives I often think about is that I miss having the opportunity to rubber-ducky ideas with a colleague face-to-face (Zoom isn't great for that). Also I become reclusive very easily even though I love being social, so I miss having the opportunity to go out for drinks after work hours. It's much easier to just be a couch potato when you WFH xD
Dylan Merideth
I no longer have to worry about impressing others with wardrobe, and the lack of commutes and necessary movement lead to sitting for long periods, which took my spinal health away. Took a long time to get that back after evaluating routines