What was your dream job as a child, and what is your current position about?

Martina Hackbartt
23 replies
Hey there! Today I brought a reminiscent question :) What was your dream job when you were a child? Are you currently working on anything similar? Would your child version be proud of you? Let's share some memories!

Replies

Carsten Pleiser
I wanted to become an entrepreneur and build businesses. My first business was to sell Magic Cards, then CDs, then I started a car detailing and party business, an online community for farmworkers in Australia. Many of my stupid ideas failed because I didn't validate the market. Today I'm the founder of two companies and very lucky to not have to work in a 9-5 job.
Martina Hackbartt
@ckpleiser Hi, Carsten! Seems like entrepreneurship runs in your blood! Thank you very much for sharing :)
Margarita Shvetsova
Astronomer πŸ˜‚ I used to believe an astronomer's job is to admire stars in the telescope! Probably my child version wouldn't be too excited about my current position as a marketer, as it's rather cynical compared to the "dreamy" job of an astronomer πŸ˜‚ but I paint with oil pastels in my free time, so my inner child should be pretty content with my choices ;) What about you Martina?
Martina Hackbartt
@margarita_s88 I've met too many people interested in becoming an Astromer and yet no Astronomy students, haha. Painting with oil pastels seems like a great hobby to disconnect from work; I'd love to have more of a creative side :) Regarding myself, I didn't have like 1 job I looked up to, I was mainly into becoming a doctor (which is not the case, but I study biology and focus on biomedicine sooooo qui!te! !s!i!ilar). Thanks for asking!
Michael Silber
I watched this Nightline story on IDEO in high school and it always stuck with me. While not exactly the same since I work with software, many of the ideas translate pretty directly to my role as a product manager. I feel incredibly lucky to have forged my path in this direction, I get to solve puzzles that help people every day!
Martina Hackbartt
@product_at_producthunt Hey Michael! Thank you very much for sharing your story, it's great to hear that you value your path and what you do today. Keep up!
Diana Ivanenko
As a kid, I wanted to become an archaeologist to reveal the mysteries of the ancient world to people of the modern world. And perhaps to find Atlantis πŸ™‚ Then I watched the movie View from the Top (2003) and got excited about becoming a flight attendant to travel the world. I ended up working as a Product manager who is striving for making the world a bit more simple and convenient for others πŸ™‚ I don't think my child version would be unhappy about what I've become. I think the opposite - she would be happy I'm doing what I enjoy πŸ˜‰
Martina Hackbartt
@dioiv Hi Diana! Such a lovely story, thanks for sharing. Also, I see a pattern in all of your past liked jobs: your desire to help others :)
Natalia
@dioiv Wow, I have a soft spot for archaeology, too! But I never thought about it as about a job. Somehow I knew from the middle school that my job will be related to writing. And this became true. I just have never thought seriously about anything else, it was rather a no-brainer.
I wanted to a kind of mad men character - coming up with advertising campaigns for big brands. Currently a risk manager for a large corporate - but hopefully turning myself into a proper entrepreneur at some point soon!
Rucha Joshi
Astronomer :D We had started learning about the solar system and the starry universe and at that point in 5th grade I wanted nothing more than to explore outer space. I am a product designer now :)
Martina Hackbartt
@rucha_joshi8 Hi Rucha! Being a product designer sounds like a fun job, as fun as discovering the space :) thanks for sharing
Bertha Kgokong
As a child I wanted to be a rocket scientist or an astronaut, I was just fascinated by the stars the idea of space, being able to go to the moon. I studied a lot of books about space and the cosmos, I took Physics all the way to university ---> but there was no rocket science course at our university :( or I would have taken that course. So, I ended up an engineer and now a developer, I think a younger me would have been proud of where I landed, I can still go to space after all this ---- this is still an open ended journey.
Martina Hackbartt
@berthakgokong Hi Bertha! Go women in STEMπŸ’ͺ. I 100% agree with you that this is still an open-ended journey. Keep up :)
Lauren Proctor
The little me wanted to be a pirate. Now I'm a marketer and entrepreneur. I suppose the two are similar: - I steal eyeballs (in this case, the attention kind) - The "seas" are choppy and adventurous - The treasure hunt never ends - I don't wear an eye patch, but I do wear blue light classes sometimes - I was a digital nomad who traveled the world the world for 4ish years (though very little of that time was spent on ships) - It's risky work - It's not just a job, but an identity I think the child me would wonder why I spend so much time in front of my computer. But overall they'd be happy to see that I've got my whole heart in it.
Martina Hackbartt
@laurenproctor32 Hi Lauren, I absolutely loved how you put your job into simple and fun words! Thank you for sharing and keep up!
Donia Ahmed
As a kid i wanted to be a doctor, but it all changed now. I shifted my career from sales agent to community manager 2 months ago and hopefully this goes well for me ... I'm so excited about every the journey
Martina Hackbartt
@donia_ahmed Hi Donia! It's great you could take the decision to switch careers, I wish you all the best :)
Ira GI
Singer. And my dream has come true. I performed at the X Factor :))
Donia Ahmed
As a kid I wanted to be a doctor, but when graduated from business school I started my career as sales and customer service agent then two and half years later I shifted for community coordinator for three months now and am so happy about it.
Martina Hackbartt
@donia_ahmed The fact that you're happy with your choice is the most important thing! Thank you for sharing :)