What was your dream job as a child, and what is your current position about?

Martina Hackbartt
23 replies
Hey there! Today I brought a reminiscent question :) What was your dream job when you were a child? Are you currently working on anything similar? Would your child version be proud of you? Let's share some memories!

Replies

Michael Silber
I watched this Nightline story on IDEO in high school and it always stuck with me. While not exactly the same since I work with software, many of the ideas translate pretty directly to my role as a product manager. I feel incredibly lucky to have forged my path in this direction, I get to solve puzzles that help people every day!
Martina Hackbartt
@product_at_producthunt Hey Michael! Thank you very much for sharing your story, it's great to hear that you value your path and what you do today. Keep up!
Margarita Shvetsova
Astronomer πŸ˜‚ I used to believe an astronomer's job is to admire stars in the telescope! Probably my child version wouldn't be too excited about my current position as a marketer, as it's rather cynical compared to the "dreamy" job of an astronomer πŸ˜‚ but I paint with oil pastels in my free time, so my inner child should be pretty content with my choices ;) What about you Martina?
Martina Hackbartt
@margarita_s88 I've met too many people interested in becoming an Astromer and yet no Astronomy students, haha. Painting with oil pastels seems like a great hobby to disconnect from work; I'd love to have more of a creative side :) Regarding myself, I didn't have like 1 job I looked up to, I was mainly into becoming a doctor (which is not the case, but I study biology and focus on biomedicine sooooo qui!te! !s!i!ilar). Thanks for asking!
Diana Ivanenko
As a kid, I wanted to become an archaeologist to reveal the mysteries of the ancient world to people of the modern world. And perhaps to find Atlantis πŸ™‚ Then I watched the movie View from the Top (2003) and got excited about becoming a flight attendant to travel the world. I ended up working as a Product manager who is striving for making the world a bit more simple and convenient for others πŸ™‚ I don't think my child version would be unhappy about what I've become. I think the opposite - she would be happy I'm doing what I enjoy πŸ˜‰
Martina Hackbartt
@dioiv Hi Diana! Such a lovely story, thanks for sharing. Also, I see a pattern in all of your past liked jobs: your desire to help others :)
Natalia
@dioiv Wow, I have a soft spot for archaeology, too! But I never thought about it as about a job. Somehow I knew from the middle school that my job will be related to writing. And this became true. I just have never thought seriously about anything else, it was rather a no-brainer.
I wanted to a kind of mad men character - coming up with advertising campaigns for big brands. Currently a risk manager for a large corporate - but hopefully turning myself into a proper entrepreneur at some point soon!
Rucha Joshi
Astronomer :D We had started learning about the solar system and the starry universe and at that point in 5th grade I wanted nothing more than to explore outer space. I am a product designer now :)
Martina Hackbartt
@rucha_joshi8 Hi Rucha! Being a product designer sounds like a fun job, as fun as discovering the space :) thanks for sharing
Bertha Kgokong
As a child I wanted to be a rocket scientist or an astronaut, I was just fascinated by the stars the idea of space, being able to go to the moon. I studied a lot of books about space and the cosmos, I took Physics all the way to university ---> but there was no rocket science course at our university :( or I would have taken that course. So, I ended up an engineer and now a developer, I think a younger me would have been proud of where I landed, I can still go to space after all this ---- this is still an open ended journey.
Martina Hackbartt
@berthakgokong Hi Bertha! Go women in STEMπŸ’ͺ. I 100% agree with you that this is still an open-ended journey. Keep up :)
Lauren Proctor
The little me wanted to be a pirate. Now I'm a marketer and entrepreneur. I suppose the two are similar: - I steal eyeballs (in this case, the attention kind) - The "seas" are choppy and adventurous - The treasure hunt never ends - I don't wear an eye patch, but I do wear blue light classes sometimes - I was a digital nomad who traveled the world the world for 4ish years (though very little of that time was spent on ships) - It's risky work - It's not just a job, but an identity I think the child me would wonder why I spend so much time in front of my computer. But overall they'd be happy to see that I've got my whole heart in it.
Martina Hackbartt
@laurenproctor32 Hi Lauren, I absolutely loved how you put your job into simple and fun words! Thank you for sharing and keep up!
Donia Ahmed
As a kid i wanted to be a doctor, but it all changed now. I shifted my career from sales agent to community manager 2 months ago and hopefully this goes well for me ... I'm so excited about every the journey
Martina Hackbartt
@donia_ahmed Hi Donia! It's great you could take the decision to switch careers, I wish you all the best :)
Donia Ahmed
@martina_hackbarttit it was hard but so worth it, that is very nice of you ...thank you so much
Ira GI
Singer. And my dream has come true. I performed at the X Factor :))
Martina Hackbartt
@ira_gi That's absolutely great! Congrats and thanks for sharing :)
Carsten Pleiser
I wanted to become an entrepreneur and build businesses. My first business was to sell Magic Cards, then CDs, then I started a car detailing and party business, an online community for farmworkers in Australia. Many of my stupid ideas failed because I didn't validate the market. Today I'm the founder of two companies and very lucky to not have to work in a 9-5 job.
Martina Hackbartt
@ckpleiser Hi, Carsten! Seems like entrepreneurship runs in your blood! Thank you very much for sharing :)
Donia Ahmed
As a kid I wanted to be a doctor, but when graduated from business school I started my career as sales and customer service agent then two and half years later I shifted for community coordinator for three months now and am so happy about it.
Martina Hackbartt
@donia_ahmed The fact that you're happy with your choice is the most important thing! Thank you for sharing :)