What usually deters you from trying out a new service?

Ali El (CEO)
9 replies
There are too many factors to add here so we tried to limit the options to a few that can be improved. We hope this poll can make it clearer for founders and us too on which to focus on first when building new products.

Replies

Bogomil Shopov - Бого
+ 1.) Force sign-ups - You can do something for free, but you must register and pay (trial, you-can-cancel-at-any-time) or sign-up before using anything.
Ali El (CEO)
@bogomep Those are extremely annoying. We are thinking of asking for an email address in exchange for a 7 day trial of the product. After which the service will remind you that the trial ended. Would that approach still deter you?
Having a lengthy sign-up process
Ali El (CEO)
@maxwellcdavis That's a very good point. How do you feel about platforms that combine the onboarding experience with the sign up process?
@softwurx Well a lot of the time I just want to experiment myself so I don't really like it when I'm forced to onboard - but do appreciate an option
Ali El (CEO)
@maxwellcdavis Your answer gives me a lot of hope. Here at Softwurx we are experimenting with the idea of "giving the meats first then the dessert later" which is basically letting you use the service and asking for an account later or when it's needed to save user specific data. +1 for self experimentation! Thank you for taking the time to help out Maxwell, it's really helpful to get your feedback 🙌🏽
John Stewart
Too many CTA's and landing pages etc. I have to be really sold on a product/service to jump through hoops to get it. If the process of getting the service isn't streamlined or efficient, I will take it as an indicator that the service will perform in a similar way.
Ali El (CEO)
@john_stewarttgm Yeah this one also hits home for me. What's worse is that I find scrolling these landing pages with no real direction to the product itself. It does make me wonder where this trend is coming from, any ideas as to why this is becoming the status quo?
John Stewart
@softwurx I have definitely noticed this particularly in relation to services. I'm coming into contact more and more with companies who can't seem to communicate directly what their service actually is. And if they can't explain it to a marketer, how can they explain it to a client? My prediction is that everyone want's to appear instantly as an expert in their field. Whilst that is what you should be doing, its being approached in completely the wrong way. People assume that to sell, you have to sound smart. In reality copy needs to be understood at the level of an 8-10 year old to be effective. Its far better for conversions to be upfront and understood, then sound like a university scholar. The result of this is the company producing extremely weak webpages, campaigns etc with no direction or point. Secondly, I don't think most businesses have mastered a good format for pitching their product at its core. If your pitch is entirely self-centred to demonstrate how great you are, you're missing out on the opportunity to focus on the pain points of your audience. Customers function within a self-centred sheep mindset. 'how will this product help me' and 'how do I know its trustworthy'. If businesses don't cater to that then they are missing out on their audiences motivators. The result of all of the above is self-centred copy with no clear objective. Simplicity is often best... but currently not popular.