What's your ideal approach for answering the question "Tell me about yourself"?

Tapsi
16 replies

Replies

Brian Briggs
Definitely depends on the setting and what the actual goal is when answering. For example, if this question were proposed to you in an interview type setting, I like to stick with something basic like your name. I know this may seem like an awkward approach but it has helped me in a jam in a number of ways. Furthermore, by your name, I mean using positive adjectives to describe yourself and following up with a brief description as to why. Using your name as a reference: T - Trustworthy (At my last job, my supervisor was very trusting of me to deliver products and projects in a timely manner to meet crucial deadlines) A - Ambitious (I am definitely someone who does not wait to take action. I see a problem and I make a decision that would not only benefit me, but would be beneficial to the team as well.) So on and so forth..hope this was able to grant you some clarity in your question. Good luck! =D
Tapsi
@createhq this sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
Maciej Cupial
What would you like to know? :) I think it depends with whom are you talking about. Is the question professional or private?
For job interview I've a small sentence that describe my background and career path. But your question is large, depend on the context.
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
That's a great question. I guess it depends on the context, but I usually try to throw a fun fact in there as well ("My name is Lior and I'm a dog person", or "My name is Lior and I really like cooking and baking").
Tapsi
@lior_galante_cohen Nice, that sounds good.
Minal Joshi Jaeckli
🤔 Oh, I think it depends on where/when/who is asking. Why do you ask Tapsi? What's your approach?
Tapsi
@minal_at_openelevator I was just asking generally. I wanted to know how different people approach it.
Manoj Ranaweera
Go search! Find the answer yourself! Depends on who is driving the conversation.
Manoj Ranaweera
@tapsi if you say so. If someone is asking that from me, it means they are lazy and not done any research.
Tapsi
@manojranaweera I think it's more about finding oneself than about finding the right answer.
Janinah
Break it down into into 3x short parts: - A bit about my: 1. Past 2. Present and 3. Future