What's your current read?

Yeshaswini
81 replies
Hi folks, what are you reading and what's that one thing from the book that's going to stay with you?

Replies

Ugo B
Le Growth Hacking, Dunod Edition (In French)
Liza Karelina
The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason. The thought that will stay with me - stop useless wasting money. 😉
Przemek Szustak
@eliza.karelina wow, so many people read this book right now. I have to make it up! :)
Jack Davis
"How I Built This" by Guy Raz. I learned that most entrepreneurs go through the same journey no matter what field they are in!
Yeshaswini
@jack_davis7 Thanks for sharing that, Jack! From the upvotes see a lot of people are interested in that book. Maybe it's time I pick it up :D
Anthony Pham
Currently starting "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller — been hearing good things!
Yeshaswini
@anthonypham Aah that sounds like a heavy read. Do let me know how it was!
Peter Mello
Having recently crossed the threshold of two decades passing since the awarding of my Baccalaureate, I've recently taken to rereading some of the more memorable volumes I first encountered as a student of philosophy. Currently I'm taking a more nuanced stroll through Bertrand Russell's "Marriage and Morals" and am finding it even more prescient and insightful for our current times than I did 20+ years ago. I still marvel at how he was able to arrive at those conclusions back when it was first published in 1929. Russell takes a lot of well-deserved flack for just how unpolitically correct he was even for his own generation to say nothing of the much greater extent that he appears tone deaf when read today, but he's still one of the best reads in the field from the modern era for my money when it comes to communicating the logic that led to his hypotheses. I also want to give an honorable mention to another gem from my recent rereads, and that's for "Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World" by René Girard. That one really spoke to a lot of the nihilistic thoughts that had crept into my daily thinking during the four years of the most recent former U.S. President's term of office. I don't know that it made me any more hopeful, sadly, but I do feel like it allowed me a better understanding of the motivations of those vast numbers of people who identify with lines of reasoning I believe border on unconscionable (authoritarianism, racial insensitivity, governmental ethics, et al.).
Aaron O'Leary
Currently reading "Freedom is a constant struggle", really insightful book on how major social movements happen and what connects them
Yeshaswini
@aaronoleary That sounds interesting and rather relevant in today's time. Thanks for sharing, I'll take a look at it!
Roy
"Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" - I guess the title of the book says it all!
Yeshaswini
@roy_outgrow Hahah I have tried to pick it up a bunch of times, somehow couldn't follow through.
Tushar Shahi
@roy_outgrow One of the best books i have ever read
Karan Dehghani
Great question. I am reading "The British industrial revolution in global perspective" by Robert Allen. The thought that currently stays with me is how Silicon Valley today seems to be like Great Britain in 1760 to 1840, where British engineers developed "every ingenious improvements" such as the steam engine.
Yeshaswini
@kdegani That sounds super interesting. I love when parallels are drawn from a different time. Although, it has the downside of history repeating itself when things go south.
Spencer Walden
"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius (Hays translation) "Yes, keep on degrading yourself, soul. But soon your chance at dignity will be gone. Everyone gets one life. Yours is almost used up, and instead of treating yourself with respect, you have entrusted your own happiness to the souls of others.
Devanand Premkumar
@swaldy Well, it is said that through meditation you can unlock your potential to its fullest. The mind and its consciousness is very vast and what you can achieve if you know how to harness it is enormous.
Yeshaswini
@swaldy That's thought provoking. Although, I'd say after reading my share of self-help books I think it boils down to how much you can stay in the present as opposed to letting yourself be ruled by your post and constant worries about the future. This expectation to be zen is unrealistic, the most we can do is to be kind to ourselves and like the book suggests, not to burden ourselves with the need for constant external validation.
Zach Scragg
@swaldy It's sitting on my desk beside me. Fantastic book.
Matt Blake
Laziness Does Not Exist by Devon Price
arif Saghir
@mattsmith4u It is awesome book! but I got one solution from it that it focuses on the phrase of "Do more" and keep it up. Then Try to built this project https://androidcompare.com/
Inal Karov
The Choice: Embrace the Possible by Dr. Edith Eva Eger
Razgulyaev Sergey
"Margin of Safety" by Seth A. Klarman. It's a great book for those who start investing and want to know more about value investing. It's written extremely consistent and logical. I definitely recommend it.
Yeshaswini
@sergey_91 Thanks so much! I have been meaning to get started with understanding value investing and its nitty gritties.
Razgulyaev Sergey
@yeshaswini sure! It's a good book for understanding all that value philosophy but it lacks of technical details on how to actually do it. For that purpose I would recommend one of Ben Graham's books
Rick Turoczy
The Business of Belonging by @davidspinks
Maximilian
No Rules Rules by Reed Hastings. Lesson: people are intelligent - if you want to be successful (not only in business), treat them as such
Yeshaswini
@schmetzma I have heard so much about Netflix's work culture. I am sure it's a great read. I am going to pick this one up. Thanks!
Rachel Lanham
Rethink - The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know by Adam Grant. The thought that will stay with me - embrace the experience of being wrong, it means you learned something! Be a scientist not a prosecutor, preacher, or politician.
Yeshaswini
@rachel_lanham That's an incredible learning, Rachel. More so today, since there is this constant pressure of being impeccable in any task we take on
Jimmy Cerone
How Bad Do You Want It? by Matt Fitzgerald. The idea that physical fatigue originates in the brain and not in the muscles will stick with me for quite a while.
Yeshaswini
@jimmy_cerone Aah I can't help but think about manifestation in this context because our thoughts are so powerful they manifest themselves in our actions and we think it's our body that's giving up.
Michael Le
"No task is a long one but the task on which one dare not start. It becomes a nightmare" - How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis https://amzn.to/3dgaOpA
Yeshaswini
@michaelnle Incredible. Very relatable too, indeed. But today I believe it's not just about getting started but the decision fatigue that arises when thinking about what to get started on. There's so much out there that the real struggle has been to pick the struggle that you are willing to take.
Katerina
Currently reading Antifragile by Nassim Taleb. Part of it is repetitive and I skip it. But made me more aware of my patterns/habits (good and bad). I'm now more conscious about trying to break them and see what happens.
Yeshaswini
@katerinabohlec I think by far the best book I have read on habits has to be Atomic Habits by James Clear - it's concise and can be read in one sitting. Although its something you'd want to keep picking up
Zach Scragg
@katerinabohlec Antifragile is tied for the spot of "best book I've ever read" and I didn't relate much (or any) of it to habits. Interesting that personal pattern/habit recognition was something you got out of it. Guess I'll be reading it again!
Katerina
@zahscr For me, habits are stuff we do routinely. That means no variations from day-to-day. Certain habits make sense (e.g., brushing your teeth). But what about other habits? How will my productivity change if I, on one random day, don't drink coffee in the morning? It's just easier to stick to your (good and bad) habits. Less decision-making.
Alonso Fernandez
The Obesity Code - On why the world is more obese, dieting is broken and ways to solve it.