What’s your best strategy to overcome miscommunication?

Cristina Imre
23 replies
Brief communication or the curse of knowledge (bias) can cause a lot of damage. I wonder what's your formula to avoid miscommunication.

Replies

Launching soon!
I often assume that my audience may not be as intelligent or as well-versed in my language as I am, so I make an effort to explain things clearly and briefly so that there is no room for misunderstanding.
Cristina Imre
@qudsia_ali Speaking multiple languages is always a strength because it makes you more conscious about this issue.
Wiktoria Jaszcza
I try to make sure that we understand certain terms in the same way. Ask questions to help each other understand.
Wiktoria Jaszcza
@cristinaimre Yesterday I had a conversation with a co-worker: we gave each other feedback on what went wrong and what we will try to do differently next time. So: questions first and feedback if we have not understood each other :)
Wiktoria Jaszcza
@cristinaimre :) and how about you? how do you deal with it?
Cristina Imre
@w_j 1) I'm a fan of "stupid questions" meaning very simple ones that clarify the meaning of what's communicated. 2) I also use overcommunication in remote settings, explaining crucial parts in simple terms, not assuming everyone understand things in one line. 3) In plus, I use the Brief Back technique to ask, "Could you please tell me what you understood from what I just said?" I cannot tell you how useful I find this technique.
Wiktoria Jaszcza
@cristinaimre 1) And usually it turns out that stupid questions aren't stupid, yes? 2) ❤️ 3) Brief Back technique - 😂 If everyone used it, it could change world history. Cristina, thank you for this great list.
Cristina Imre
@w_j Questions are a great tool to use indeed.
Sean Song
I knew one of the best solution is: document. "Talk is cheap, show me your doc", that's our motto. We just have not do well yet, keep improving.
Cristina Imre
@seansong Thanks for sharing. I bet it's not easy to simplify words in documents/imaging without spending too much time on the task. On the other hand if you master this becomes gold. Maybe adding a comments section to the document where everyone should answer: "What did you get from this doc?" You would get an awesome library of interpretations that could lead to valuable feedback.
Sean Song
@cristinaimre awesome, "what did you get from this doc" -- brilliant idea. The whole "doc" stuff is also part of the Amazon culture, very successful. For the concern about "not easy to simplify words in docs/imaging without too much time". I agree with you but the time worth the accurate communication. And everything got logged in paper (digitally of course) rather than in the air.
Cristina Imre
@seansong I agree. The effort justifies the mean especially because it acts as a spokesperson for all team members and newcomers. The bigger the team such doc become more and more crucial. Try out the "what did you get from this doc" and get back to me with the insights. :)
Dow Osage, MBA
I tend to recap at the end, especially if there are deliverables. I try to not sound pedantic but I think reiteration does help. For example (if I owe them something), "So I'll get -x- to you by -date-. Let me know if you need it sooner / need something different, etc." Or (if they owe me something), "So you'll have that to me by -day- and I'll be able to turn it around by -day-. That'll help, thanks!'
Cristina Imre
@dow_osage Definitely. This is a great ritual to do. It's a bit similar to the Brief Bag where you ask: Now please tell me in your own words what did you understand from what I just said?
Paul VanZandt
Try integrating new collaboration exercises into your workflow - sometimes gaining more exposure and getting in the groove of collaborating with your team is a great way to improve future communication! If you want to try a free collaboration software, we're launching Fresco this week: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/fresco
Cristina Imre
@paul_vanzandt Good luck with your launch!
Paul VanZandt
@cristinaimre Thanks Cristina! We've been preparing for a while so hoping for the best!
Cristina Imre
@paul_vanzandt I bet, and I know how much work is involved in such a launch. Fingers crossed.
Kazimieras Melaika
Checking that everyone are on the same page at the end of the meeting, regularly checking up on others if they really understood it correctly, and saying - don't bother asking when you have questions or you're unsure of something! Btw, we’re launching in the mid of June. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed habits, health, symptoms, and meds tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Cristina Imre
@kmelaika Thanks for your insights. Good luck with your launch in June. Feel free to give me a ping when the time comes.