What's your best growth / marketing tip?

Richard Fang
56 replies
I'm putting together a list of tips from makers, marketers, and growth people. I'm putting it together into a Notion Doc and will share it out so here's your chance to add your own (I'll tag you in it as well)

Replies

Natalie Karakina
Think most about the quality of the content instead of quantity.
Richard Fang
@nataliekarakina Haha thanks for elaborating 😆
Richard Fang
@nataliekarakina Could you maybe elaborate on this? Either an example or maybe more on what consitutes on quality > quantity? :)
Natalie Karakina
@richardfliu I wanted to express myself very briefly :) To have high-quality content, you need to think about keywords (number of queries/complexity), what has not yet been said on this topic, about how the content can become viral (uniqueness). To have a lot of content, you need a resource (money/people). But it is often possible to create 1 high-quality blog article and get more reads/reactions than 10 articles that will be opened and immediately closed.
Marley'bongwe Mlambo
Always deal with the problem your Service or products intends to solve/Serve.
Julia Doronina
Always understand and check your conversion rate for all activities and understand the best tools and approaches that can give you the most
Misha Krunic
I'm not sure about it being "the best" tip, but keeping your community up-to-date and being active and responsive is certainly up there!
Richard Fang
@price2spy Do you have an opinion on when to start building a community? From day one or when you get some traction?
Romeesa
@price2spy @richardfliu from day 1! get it started from the beginning even if it's sharing your journey, but have a community where early adopters can join.
Enlego
quality backlink and content that's all
Richard Fang
@enlego So basically focus on a proper content strategy :)
Dave Bain
Never stop obsessing over customer feedback and their needs.
Lalit Pandey
Recycle content. A single blog post can be repurposed into - a tik tok video. - an instagram post - a youtube video. - a twitter thread. It all brings back the traffic to your product. and this is just single case.
Richard Fang
@lastyprsfe Love this post - it's what most people don't realize and waste time producing new content!
C S Sultan
As a maker, it is important to focus more on UX than adding tons of features. Sure, adding more features is good, but the first focus should be the ease of use. Simply creating a tool with all the features won't work unless it saves time & money, and takes less time to learn and use. In the case of marketing, I would say, create content that is helpful - if possible solution-focused content. And you should follow the What-Why-How clause when creating them. Basically, for any content you create, first mention what it is, why it is important, and how it can be done. It's even more effective if you can give a real-life example, or a hypothetical example to visualize the solution. This will create trust and authority, and people will listen to your advice and recommendations.
Amanda Tunner
One of my tips is co-marketing with other partners. Co-marketing includes sharing each other's products on social channels, co-hosting events, etc. Thus, you can extend your connections and grow together. The recommendation for finding a partner here is to find someone who's participating in the same platform and industry (for example: Shopify - marketing industry) but that person shouldn't provide the features/products similar to yours. So you won't trample other's interests.
Chris Ashby
My number one tip is this: prioritise, focus, and validate. It's a bit like three in one, but these are the foundations of growth for me (as a designer and founder mind, not a marketer). Prioritise, as in - out of every idea you have, rank them based on their growth impact, effort to deliver, and your confidence that they will be successful. Work on the highest scoring item first. Focus, as in - stick to working on one big idea at a time. The more you change focus, the more time you waste in re-learning each idea over again. It is proven that for every task you switch during the day you lose about 15-30m in time re-learning what you are working on. Validate, as in - test and PROVE every idea you have before you commit to building something big. If you have a big idea, what are the components of it? How can you test each part to find the most valuable component? How can you deliver each part in a more efficient and simpler way? What is the 20% of your idea you can deliver for 80% of the results? Startup founders and entrepreneurs have no shortage of ideas. What they often have difficulty doing however is prioritising and focusing on what will deliver the most impact, and then validating those ideas before running into them headfirst. Growth should be a standardised and repeatable process that works WITH those big ideas and any new insight that comes into the business!
Courtenay Farquharson
Honestly the best decision I ever made (ingrowing my last startup to acquisition in 2020 and now my new one (https://backrightup.com) is what I can passive marketing - let people find you in the places they're looking for your solution. Google ads is an example of this. If you run a GitHub backups company and I search for GitHub backups and I find you the I'm warm already. The sale is easy. Marketplaces - my last business had no Google presence. I got $200k worth of business from listing my app in a marketplace. People search for solutions in them. Think Zapier. Aalesforce marketplace. Google Workspace marketplace. There are hundreds
Richard Fang
@courtenay Good point! Understand where your customer is searching for your product
Pradeep Kumar M
Focus on the good quality content that will solve the user's query, and focus on the intent-based. It should be correlated to the product as well.
Siddhesh Lokare
Create lead magnets that complement your original product/service. And whenever possible, spend a lot of time in forming a funnel, take it slow and create long-term relationships with every stakeholder involved!
Saurabh Chandarana
Firstly, Thanks for taking the effort to collect these ideas and consolidate them. My one tip is : Ensuring your first few users love the product and then use their testimonials/experience to showcase on social media platforms or other growth channels/communities one may use to show usability of the product to others. In short - Leverage your loving customers to be the product advocates/marketers.
Richard Fang
@saurabhc Glad to! Yeah I love this one especially really early stage
Mitchell Orme
Hey Richard, this is a pretty wide-ranging tip, but in terms of socials, I've found that consistency is key. You can have all the best copy in the world but if people don't have the opportunity to see you regularly, it likely won't be read. So whether it's Twitter, Linkedin, or Instagram, consistent posting increases your chances of being seen but also sharpens your craft and messaging.
Mavlonbek Muratov
A great product that can speak for itself.
Sheiryl Jose
Keeping up to date with the latest trends in your industry :) Continuous creation of good quality content for your clients also works, in our company we continuously provide them with tips that will help them decide with their investment. Sample content https://lessandra.com.ph/blog/20...
Rachel E. Allen
Obsess on customer happiness and retention. Let them do the marketing for you.
Richard Fang
@rachel_e_allen Very true - if your product can do this that's massive
Shanee Moret
Provide 100X more value than anyone else in your space.
Raj Vasani
Branding and adding value to improve your customer journey may not give results instantly but will add up to give a compounded result later.