What's the #1 challenge you have related to working remotely?

Nishith from True Sparrow
38 replies

Replies

Moses Kiarie
I'd say the biggest challenge is physical inconveniences and distractions as well. For example, experiencing a power blackout in the middle of a task can really set me back.
Moses Kiarie
@heymara I also bought myself a more powerful power bank recently to combat the blackouts. It's not the most fun thing especially when you have deadlines to meet 😂
Mara Sy
@kiarie I'm currently working in a province in the Philippines and the power blackouts can happen for hours unexpectedly. I can say that this is a bit of a setback. To adjust, I always make it a point to have my powerbank charged. 😅
@heymara @kiarie agree. Are power outages frequent, and how long do they last? Where I am it is peak summer and power outages happen once a week for a couple of hours.
Maria
I must admit that working remotely really suits me, I am more productive and more efficient... But currently #1 challenge is: prepare a healthy meal during the 30min break and have a lunch within that 30 XDD
@maria_brm that's tough. Some time flexibility is very helpful. You must be on the lookout for quick meal recipes. Please do share some good ones. 🙂
Maria
@nishith_shah That's true, and you gave me a good idea! ^__^ I will be happy to share! ^__^
Goutham
The number 1 challenge in my case has been giving focus to physical health and taking enough breaks. This is mostly because I'm bootstrapping while also having a full time job :)
@gouthamj @eivindhaa on the bright side, this is one thing that can be resolved if we are conscious about it. (easy said than done though. 😄)
Eivind Håverstad
@gouthamj If it helps I'm in the same boat.
Eivind Håverstad
I guess my #1 challenge is having enough time for my side projects when I still have enough mental capacity during a normal day. As a side project entrepreneur, father, and house owner, just to mention some of them (which I guess most of us can relate to), there is always too much to prioritize. So my #1 challenge is to actually sit down and prioritize the projects I love building. If you ask my wife, I'm sure she would suggest some changes to my current prioritizations 🫣 :)
@eivindhaa agree. There's a lot of context switching and juggling required through the day. But wouldn't that be true (at least related to your side projects) even if you were working from office?
Eivind Håverstad
@nishith_shah yes, you got a good point there. 😄
Harshit Chawla
For the first two weeks, I become lazier and my lifestyle got changed and but now I am used to it and made a proper habit and maintaining my health and other stuff also.
Sam Tan
Oh man! Where to begin? 1. Internet speed is always a challenge. 2. Distractions around the house 3. Increased working hours (generally I find myself starting work earlier and finishing later). But the benefits are huge for me as well such as: 1. Saving time from travel 2. Greater flexibility to run life errands 3. And generally happier, whilst I do miss the office sometimes being in a building (regardless of the size) with dozens of other people generally means I'm not as comfortable as being at home in my own space.
Sophia Emma
Finding a quiet place to have an official call. 😢
Matthew Ritchie
I'd say my biggest challenge is knowing what's on my co-workers' calendars and when they plan to go into the office, so I know when to book meetings in-person or remotely—if only someone was working on a solution to that 😉 #2 would be the construction noise in my area. Everybody seems to be renovating their homes in Canada, right now!
Dylan Merideth
Back health from all the sitting in front of screenssssssss, taking time to break from a flow and get up and go for a real walk without feeling guilty for not working
Paul VanZandt
My biggest challenge is probably just distractions. I usually work best in a structured environment and while working from home is nice thanks to the flexibility, it also can be a struggle.
@paul_vanzandt you are not alone. Where are they coming from? Slack notifications etc, or home/family distractions?
Paul VanZandt
@nishith_shah Mainly just personal distractions, stuff around the house, social media, etc. There is a lot of noise to tune out when your workspace is also your home.
Sanja Mitar
Staying focused for prolonged periods of time. I feel like in office it was much easier to have longer working stretches whereas at home, I take more frequent breaks in order to have focused time
@sanja_mitar but it's actually fine to take frequent breaks. We don't need to feel guilty about it.
Cory Crapes
I am a people person, I love in person communication and the ability to brainstorm and feed off the energy of the discussion. Remote work makes this very hard. That is it for me. Great topic @nishith_shah
Paul Hart
The creeping sense of isolation that can come on from being physically disconnected. The problem can be overcome (and I do)… it’s my #1 personal challenge though.
Moritz Kaiser
Staying consistent with meal times. Sometimes I just get out of bed and start working. First meal at around 11 so it shifts back for the entire day. Another one is getting out of the house, luckily some hobbies make sure of that, but on days where I have nothing planned it‘s so easy to just stay at home
Kazimieras Melaika
Definitely the distractions there are at home. Also, agree with others on the food issue :D getting harder and longer to prepare and eat the food every time. Btw, we’re launching in late May. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed habit, health, symptoms, and meds tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Philipp Stelzel
To not get distracted. I can work from home, but it is really hard for me when I am travelling
Maya Ben Zid
For me it is the inability to connect with people and talk to my colleagues about things that don't always revolve around meeting agendas. Generally, I felt like a lot of social spontaneity was lost. Also, I've had employers who wanted their teams to spend 8-hours in Zoom calls so that they could monitor us which was crazy.
Serena McMahon
Onboarding remotely can be tricky! Especially forging new relationships with fellow remote coworkers at the start.
@serena_mcmahon I feel for you. Letting you on a secret - check out thursday.social. 🤪 I started working on it to exactly solve this usecase.
Serena McMahon
@nishith_shah That is the perfect 🔌! I'll check it out today for sure. Thanks, @nishith_shah!
Oswaldo Badillo
collaborative work is hard for obvious reasons, but also creative work, bouncing ideas around the team is generally better when you are at the office. If i'm doing other tasks where i need focus, i find that i'm more productive at home, as i get less distracted by the rest of the world. On a personal note, my home gets too cold, the office is always perfect on this regard haha.
Vanshika Chaturvedi
If I work from the office- there are fixed office hours WITH breaks If I work from home- I am literally working ALL. THE. TIME. I know this is not right but when you have to go to the office, it is like mental conditioning that it is your WORK space and you do major work only in your work space. But with the concept of "work from home" your home becomes your workspace and, yeah you get my point I suppose