What is your opinion about TV marketing nowadays?

Jarmo Ahonen
11 replies
Is TV-marketing, television-ads, a blast from the past? Is there still profitable use cases in the television for modern tech environment? If yes, what are your tips and tricks to get most out of it?

Replies

Valtteri Ylimäki
Great topic! At first, I'm pretty sure this varies a lot between different markets (both industry and location). But in Finland, I think that the golden ages of traditional, made with big money, not-so-measurable TV marketing are behind. Anyway, there are promising signals about the new coming of TV marketing. Companies, such as Foppa in Finland, offer their funding services for smaller companies to allow them to start TV marketing, grow first and pay the big money later. The price is tied to results, not just the great quality or tradition that TV marketing is expensive. Shortly: it's coming again :)
Jarmo Ahonen
@vylimaki That sounds utterly interesting! Always nice to know about new ways to do - and even fund marketing!
Vaibhav Taneja
I believe TV ads cater to a much larger audience than local newspapers and radio stations, and it does so during a short period of time. It reaches viewers when they’re the most attentive. It allows you to convey your message with sight, sound, and motion, which can give your business, product, or service instant credibility. It gives you an opportunity to be creative and attach a personality to your business, which can be particularly effective for small businesses that rely on repeat customers. But they are highly expensive no other advertising medium is as likely to eat up your budget as quickly as TV will.
Jarmo Ahonen
@vaibhav_taneja very good! You can say that people are ”forced” to watch the entire ad, as for social media, you can skip after the first few seconds. Definitely a pro for TV ads!
Erica Y
One thing I’ve always wondered about TV ads is their trackability. Digital marketing allows to track each lead, link, overall traffic and its origin, impressions,… with tv ads, you can just look at how your revenue grows. It can be a high risk - low reward type of situation. Maybe it’s best for building brand awareness when you already have your ad budget in check.
Dawn Veltri
@eeri2 Adtech has come a long way. There are companies that allow you to track whether a person visited your website after viewing your commercial or if they physically visited your store.
Emma K.
That's a very good question! :) I would say that if TV ads used to be the way to reach large audiences, nowadays they are at their best for reaching a more specific and smaller audience. For example, I don’t really watch the actual TV shows anymore, but use a lot of streaming services, like Netflix or HBO, to watch my favorite series. Usually I open my TV just to sign up for a streaming service. (And I guess this is very common in my own age group.) Instead my parents and grandparents for example watch a lot of TV almost every day. So I think that the most important thing to succeed in TV advertising (or in any advertising), is knowing your customers – what are they interested in, what is appealing to them? What kind of TV shows do they watch and at what time of day? When you can target your TV ads to the right TV channel at the right time and with the right message, I think it will bring results.