What is the use of Karma in reddit?

Umar Saif
17 replies
I want to know as I'm currently building my profile there.

Replies

Doktor Fit
Reddit karma is basically the lifeblood of reddit. The more you get the higher your posts will show up attracting more people. Bad news is that a lot of karma is being produced by bots these days so I tend stay away from reddit for that reason :(
Umar Saif
@doktorfit Thank you. What's your username on reddit?
Launching soon!
Reddit karma is similar to a user's score in that it adds up all of their upvotes and subtracts all of their downvotes. It offers a few practical perks, such as building your subreddit and joining some exclusive communities, but it's mainly about reputation.
Umar Saif
@qudsia_ali Thank you. What's your username on reddit?
Dapeng Ni
Hi! Do you mean the points? We actually have the same question and some say that it's like making our accounts more credible.
Fabian Maume
It can help you pass through automated moderation. Some subreddit requires at least 200 of karma to post. There is also a threshold to include links in the post.
Umar Saif
@fabian_maume I see. Thank you for the info. What's your username on reddit?
Luka Vasic
It gives you a few perks but it's mostly there for credibility and the reputation you have in the community. People that aim to be subreddit moderators should go for higher karma as it makes them known and trusted in the community.
Umar Saif
@luka_vasic Thank you. What's your username on reddit?
Marilyn Rios
It describes the authority of any Reddit account. also if you have higher karma can help you to see your posts higher.
Umar Saif
@marilyn_rios Thank you. What's your username on reddit?
Anna Mandziuk πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
I think that it's mostly for reputation. Accounts with high karma mean that a person is an active user, and constantly provides valuable, funny, etc. content to others.
Larry Gast
It's a replacement for the algorithms that other social media sites use. Instead of controlling the content and where it ranks, the audience does that. The danger is that higher ranked comments get more visibility and likely get more upvotes, so it can be self-serving cycle - especially if a comment gets in early, it can be biased towards the top.