What is the single most important factor you look for when building an MVP?

Ajeya
32 replies

Replies

Alexander Moen
I recently heard a different version of this term that I really like: Minimum Buyable Product. What is the smallest thing you can build and get people to buy? Nothing else really matters and is conjecture until you get other people giving you money, so use that as your north star.
Abel G. weldu
@alexander_moen This is pure gold of an advice.
Anton Zorin
@alexander_moen Another popular term is MLP (Minumum Loveable Product). Monetization can be down the road, depending on your growth model.
Ajeya
@alexander_moen Interesting take! This metric works for all early stage startups.
Wael Khattar
I define the problem, and I make sure my MVP solves that problem in the fastest, cheapest way possible. The thought process goes: Ok this is one way to solve the problem, what's a faster, cheaper way? On repeat, ask people around you, then ask the question again.
Ajeya
@wael_khattar1 Pretty straight forward, how has this approach worked out?
Prachi Gupta
@wael_khattar1 Love the iteration to find the faster, cheaper way. At the problem definition stage, are you doing market insight research or do you use another method to narrow down on the problem you're going to go after?
vivek kumar
@wael_khattar1 How cheap? Any numbers to build anything in general?
Justus Mulli
@wael_khattar1 I would say this + making sure you really understand the "problem" and continuously refine your understanding of it. If you're not the target user, then it means staying close to users to make sure every bit of effort significantly contributes to solving the problem.
Alexey Shashkov
When I'm building the MVP, I'm looking for a factor that can give enough value and get traction.
Waqar Wasti
The adaptability of processes. How quickly and cheaply can you change how things work is super important I'd be curious to hear what people think on low vs high fidelity of a product Cheers!
christian graves
great responses here... as far as lmbk + wtfh products we've worked to build community (discord) around prelaunches and conduct discovery w/ many of the community members who are engaged from the earliest stages of our prelaunch this guides the design/prod decisions we make always geared towards increasing velocity to 🚀 + cohort retention
Siddhesh Lokare
Delta E: Change in Efficiency.
Will Perlmutter
iterative feedback at every step along the way. finding out how your potential customers actually experience your MVP will be the light at the end of every tunnel when it isn't clear what to do next. listen to them, let them guide you, and don't ever build too much before you get their take on the matter.
Geetanjali Shrivastava
Definitely the value - once we have defined the problem, the MVP has to provide enough value for early users to adopt it and give the right inputs & feedback to move to the next stage.
Vinayak Jhunjhunwala
For MVP/MLP(Minimum Lovable Product) I usually don't prioritise or build first class features which can be executed manually with people involved. Think of MVP like a cool electric truck but driven by pedals. This improves go to market speed considerably for us.
Vikas M
Data understanding
Marta Serrano
Learning from real users using your MVP in every phase to verify the direction of the product is key. Do not go to far if your users do not want that
Jorge Medina
When I'm building an MVP (Minimum Viable Product), the most important thing for me to consider is value. I want my MVP to offer enough value to users that they'll actually want to use it, even if it's not fully finished yet. Other things I think about include whether it's feasible to build within my available resources, how quickly I can get it to market, and how risky it is to build and launch. The goal of an MVP is to test and validate my product idea, get user feedback, and iterate based on that feedback. So I focus on delivering the core value proposition of my product as fast as I can.
Steven M. Mihaly
What does the "V" stand for in MVP? "Viable - capable of working successfully." - which I think is just simply not enough for what we know an MVP should be. Just because something works, it doesn't mean it will either solve a problem, or anyone would want to buy it. You want to build that one solution that solves a problem big enough for someone wanting to pay for it, even if it's just cents; if you find enough people to buy it, you've got cash flow! Focus on that one thing, and your product will grow.
Mike Nevis
Business Value. It can have flavors based on your backlog and customers. But you will need to define the value for your business first so that your MVPs are also valuable.
Alexis Khvatov
When it comes to building a Minimum Viable Product, I believe the most important factor is iteration. This goes beyond simply developing a product as fast as possible; instead, I think it’s critical to build something that solves the customer’s core problem but also allows for testing and gathering feedback to make sure you are on the right track as you develop additional features and services. Iterating over time not only reduces risk since you can test out different assumptions quickly, it also ensures the product or service is well-tailored to what the customer needs and wants. Building an MVP with iterations in mind is essential for any successful venture!
Sungtae Lee
There can be many answers to this. But "launch quickly" is step one Michael Siebel says in his talk on Y-combinator. link: https://www.ycombinator.com/libr...
Wendy Olson
I identify the issue at hand, and then guarantee that my minimum viable product provides a quick, low-cost solution.