What is the one best practice you follow while publishing your changelog?

Rucha Joshi
5 replies

Replies

Sharath Kuruganty
Not particularly about changelogs but these best practices help when building in public in general. 1. Consistent cadence - make it weekly or bi-weekly 2. Use gifs to showcase tiny features 3. Highlight big features with a loom demo 4. Keep copy writing short and sweet :)
Rucha Joshi
@5harath thanks for the great summary. I do need to start incorporating more visuals in our changelog.
flo merian
> Consistent cadence - make it weekly or bi-weekly +1 @5harath. above all, consistency is the one best practice I do follow for changelogs. FWIW Linear's CEO @karrisaarinen wrote an insightful blog post on the topic.
Rucha Joshi
I add almost everything we push to prod and try to use less technical and more use centred language. e.g - if we push out a tiny fix or feature I'll write about how it is useful for the users. Keeping it short and in bullet points under appropriate headers.
flo merian
if you're building a developer tool, balance value-based and product-oriented language. release notes are conversion tools. as users, we read a changelog to get the latest product updates and figure out how much a team cares about its product by shipping new features and improvements. because developers are resistant to anything that looks, sounds, or smells like marketing, you want to show, not tell. FWIW I shared a few (inspiring) examples from Linear, Liveblocks, Raycast... in this blog post. hope it helps!