What is the good side of working remotely?

Vio Vanica
217 replies
For me, it's the time I save when I don't commute for 2 hours every day. What about you?

Replies

Zoya Matin
Definitely the extra time I get to spend with family - we're not "hanging out" but see each other so much more now here and there. Andddd get to hang out with the pets more!!
Vio Vanica
@zoyamatin I totally feel you with this, interesting what a kind of new perspectives can a lockdown bring.
Cory Arens
I get to work in my pajamas.
Yazin Akkawi
@cory_arens @zoyamatin what am I supposed to do with all the sneakers I've been buying?
Vio Vanica
@cory_arens @zoyamatin @yazinakkawi sell them I guess :D what do you say?
Natalie Evanson
@cory_arens That's one of the best thigs :)
Dimitris Karavias
No commute. I can structure my day in the best way for me. I can work from anywhere in the world.
Vio Vanica
@dkaravias work from anywhere is the best I guess, especially when you want some variety in your environment, I am in Brasov at the moment, for example, close to Dracula's house, what about you?
Dimitris Karavias
@viorica_vanica Right now at the north of Greece. My non-pandemic base is London. Also worked from Berlin, Athens, Amsterdam at times. I also spend summer at Naxos island where I'm from, and that's where creating your own schedule comes in. I take breaks to go to the beach when it's hot and come back to work in the evening!
Vio Vanica
@dkaravias love it, when did you start living this kind of life-style?
Dimitris Karavias
@viorica_vanica 2017 when I joined a company that allowed for remote work. Now I run my own fully remote startup from anywhere I want. I would be scared of working close to Dracula's house though!
Vio Vanica
@dkaravias funny, Dracula's house is not like in the movies, it's a pretty old castle. Love what opportunities the remote work brought into your life.
Chandan Das
Avoid long distance travelling and pollution
Vio Vanica
Yes, that is for sure :)
Fabian Maume
I can drink yerba maté. Also my desktop computer is far more powerful than my laptop.
Audrey Rampon
No commute time! Which means I can do yoga right before or after work. Which also means I can work in my yoga pants :p
Helen Thomas
The best thing about working in a remote environment is that you don't commute! The commute takes a lot of time and energy. It helps me become more productive just by staying at home and doing my stuff right away.
Vio Vanica
@heletoto I assume that you don't want to go back to the office, correct me if I am wrong.
Tapsi
One word: Flexibility!
Elisa Tarzia
Mycat resting on my lap
Madhurima Halder
Hey Viorica, The good side about working remotely is that you get to stay at home with your family! All those Gen Z & millennial problems about not giving enough time to your parents or family in general is just gone in a jiffy. Apart from that, yes, you save loads of money which you would have otherwise spent if you would have travelled to the office. You save time, your productivity levels are high and you can actually do so much more. I am personally witnessing it myself now that I have joined an all-remote company, !https://recruitcrm.io/ to work full-time! :) Hope this helps.
Vio Vanica
@madhurima_halder I found the part of spending time with my family also very fulfilling, I could say I had never spend so much time with my family, since I left mom's house for the college. How is your working program, being fully remote?
Olgun
Being able to work near a surf spot :D
Nazar Coco
I like work in bed
Vio Vanica
@nazarchik_coco admirable really, I fall asleep when working in bed.
Chandan Kumar
can take a power nap :)
Mateusz Zaród
@chandannotes in the middle of task, anytime you want, and everywhere you want :D
Mateusz Zaród
you can sturcture your break during job instead of wasting time commuting to work. Sometimes i work 6hours straight, but sometimes I like to take a walk and go buy something for dinner and reset, then finish my tasks after longer break. Or go with my kids for a walk and return. You don't have to just seat in front of computer pretending that you are working ;) you save A LOT of money on cars, and you don't order food to eat something, just do regular dinner for you whole family :)
Vio Vanica
@mateusz_zarod1 this sounds like when you take a breath of fresh air
Good parts: - ​Flexibility - No time waste to commute to the office and back home - Easier to lay down when you feel your back pain - Spend more time with family (for some people this can be a negative point!) - You can travel and work - You can sleep more in the mornings (because you can start your work right after yoiu wait up), no need to shower, dress up, and taking some time to go to office (means saving at least one hour) Bad parts: - You get less chance to meet your colleagues in person, and that might lead to social anxiety - You spend less time talking/having fun, and probably more time working which might effect the mental health in long run (you need to be careful, specially if you're alone in home) - It decrease physical activities - Sometimes it leads to not have the same and correct understanding from an issue, product, idea, or etc (misunderstanding because of short video calls)
Mateusz Zaród
@mohammad_kermani working remotely increased my physical activities, you can workout everytime you want :)
Vio Vanica
@mohammad_kermani what solutions did you try so far for the bad parts?
Vio Vanica
@mohammad_kermani @mateusz_zarod1 This ones: Bad parts: - You get less chance to meet your colleagues in person, and that might lead to social anxiety - You spend less time talking/having fun, and probably more time working which might effect the mental health in long run (you need to be careful, specially if you're alone in home) - It decrease physical activities - Sometimes it leads to not have the same and correct understanding from an issue, product, idea, or etc (misunderstanding because of short video calls)
Paula Petcu
@mohammad_kermani @mateusz_zarod1 @viorica_vanica I agree with the bad parts that mohammad mentions. I've had similar challenges and I found that it's still possible to connect with colleagues virtually. One thing is virtual coffee breaks, but we found that playing online games, guessing games, and creating challenges for ourselves was quite effective to stay connected as a team. This is exactly what inspired a project that I contributed to recently: Funin (https://healthymindtech.com/funin).
Maria Slepokurova
I think it's a good opportunity to uplift your work/life balance and create new healthy habits. Also you may use time trackers in order to remain your productivity.
Vio Vanica
@maria_slepokurova what apps do you use to track your tasks?
大河
Spend more time on thinking what's the meaning of working.
Vio Vanica
@new_user_10309cbb83 wauu, this is huge if you stop to think. I am curious now, what conclusion did you get so far?
Stellnet Support
Safe time and money. Save Time - 3 hours a day. No need to wake up early to get to work 1,5 in one way. This time can be spent on family or passions. Save Money - Less gas, no need to purchase train tickets. All devs love to work remote !
Vio Vanica
@stellnet_support what do you do during those 3 hours you saved?
Stellnet Support
@viorica_vanica All stuff i didn't have time before. 1. Wake up later 2. Earlier groceries 3. Breakfast for my daughter 4. Go to forest
Definitely agree with you.. it saves time and much effort in commuting to & from home & office. Besides, you can also look for your kids while at home ;-)
Vio Vanica
@lexi_gibson parent at home is a full-time job as well, how do you manage it (job and the kids at home)?
Stellnet Support
@lexi_gibson @viorica_vanica Full time parent and job (kid at home ) during pandemic lockdown is nightmare. my head sometimes burns.
Vio Vanica
@lexi_gibson @stellnet_support this is like doing two jobs at the same time...