What is the biggest lesson you learned as a growth hacker/marketer?

Luka Vasic
13 replies
I'm currently into growth hacking/marketing, mostly doing it on LinkedIn and Ph currently. I would like to know some tips, tricks, and lessons from people that are also in the field and have experience.

Replies

Paul VanZandt
You won't know if something works/doesn't until you try consistently for at least a month (minimum). Even if it feels like a slog and it's not producing immediate returns, keep at it.
Luka Vasic
@paul_vanzandt What do you think is the optimal time to make a change or drop something you have been testing?
Paul VanZandt
@luka_vasic I usually use one month as a marker, but it depends on how broad the funnel is. If you're reaching out to a massive market of people, one month might be nowhere near enough time. FYI we launched Fresco today, you can check it out here: www.producthunt.com/posts/fresco-3
Wiktoria Jaszcza
* We need to communicate not from our perspective, but keep in mind the perspective of others. * Customers buy outcomes, not products.
Gurpinder Singh
Biggest lesson I learned as a marketer is to unlearn. Things and algorithms are changing rapidly in this digital world. You need to unlearn the things which were working for you earlier and try new things to grow.
Luka Vasic
@gurpinder_singh I see a lot of people getting stuck in this, doing the same thing because it worked a few years ago. Great add
Gurpinder Singh
@luka_vasic Thanks. Glad you find it helpful.
Fabian Maume
"Nothing is true": there is no golden rule. If there is a valid rule now, it might not be valid in 2 months. If you are interested in learning more about growth hacking I wrote an article on the topic: https://medium.com/@fabian-maume...
Luka Vasic
/@fabian @fabian_maume cool, will give it a read.
Dow Osage, MBA
Get baseline metrics and run reports on a cadence. You won't see a ton of growth at first but that's not why you're doing it. Once you have a nice baseline, when you try new initiative/sites/campaigns, you will have a better gauge of whether it was effective. I use raw traffic, new traffic, account starts, and account setups. 20 mins per morning or ~an hour per week, depending on how you do it will be time well spent.
Maya Ben Zid
Take your time to understand your market and your audience. Lurking in communities, reading, watching, and listening are not flashy but they pay off a ton. Once you speak your audience's language and understand their values and priorities, you'll know how to improve and market your product the right way.