What features do you want in a fitness calculator?

Joshua Dance
12 replies
As someone who works hunched over a computer a lot of the time, I sometimes don't take care of my fitness super well. But I recently started eating healthy, working out, and started building fitness calculators. I hated how a lot of the advice was not measurable or predictable. I am down 20 pounds of fat in 60 days and using my calculators every day. I am going to release them but don't want them to be useful just to me. Wondering what other people wish they had in a fitness calculator? Currently it can help you estimate and calculate your body fat percentage, calculate your BMR, TDEE, and if you pick a caloric deficit, calculate how long it will take you to get abs. What else would you want a fitness calculator to do?

Replies

Amarnath Nagula
Well done Joshua on cutting down your body fat. Keep going 🔥 In a fitness calculator, I would want something like a Pomodoro focus timer can be really helpful :)
Amarnath Nagula
@joshdance I have struggled and still struggling with my mental focus at work, Pomodoro focus method is really helping me to focus on my priority tasks. When I struggle with my mental focus, my physical fitness and diet are getting disturbed. That's why I was thinking, It would be nice if I could have my mental and physical fitness calculator in one place :)
Joshua Dance
@amarnath_nagula Thank you! Hadn't thought of that. What would you use it for? Working out? Meditating? Cardio?
I think some kind of trend analysis versus targets using existing data from tracking apps.
Joshua Dance
@maxwellcdavis Love this. Definitely planning on it. What other tracking apps do you think I need to support? Bit worried about all the various APIs etc.
Congrats Joshua! 👏 Breaking down the calories into macronutrients (protein, carbs, fats, etc) is something you should consider. And as Maxwell wrote, some kind of trend analysis would be cool, to show progress and further motivate people on achieving their diet goals
Joshua Dance
@johnnyfekete Totally agree. Macronutrients are key. I have something that converts macros to calories, but I need the other way around.
Alina Ihnatiuk
I don’t love fitness calculators, watches, what else is there ... only fitness and massage can be useful
Ira GI
never used similar and would not like
Mirton Bay
I think calories counting is the most complicated for me. I'm trying to figure out how to count them correctly. I found the https://betterme.world/articles/... article useful to understand the initial difference between kilocalories and calories. So it would be great if my fitness calculator could count everything on its own.
Colleen Camacho
Regardless of the type of food you eat, calorie control is the only proven method – we know of – that directly impacts weight maintenance. If your main goal is to just see the number on the scale drop (or increase), you’ve got to get your calories dialed in. Your calorie needs are determined using a combination of your current age, height, weight, gender, fitness level, activity level, and weight goal. And the more detailed the calculator gets with these factors, the more accurate your recommendations will be. While your body mass index may not always feel like the most meaningful piece of information, outside of body fat analysis testing, it’s one of the few tools we have to determine whether or not you are overweight or underweight. Why does this matter? Well, you might be thinking you need to lose weight, but in actuality you’re already at a healthy weight and just need to lose body fat or change your body composition through a better diet and workout regime. Before deciding whether or not you should be changing your weight, a good starting place is learning james smith fitness calculator where your current weight falls on the BMI scale.Meaning, if you want to drop body fat and maintain muscle mass (improve your body composition), getting your macro ratio in check is a great start. Your macros are your calories organized into three nutrient groups: protein, fat, and carbs.Macro needs can also vary depending on your body composition, age, health needs, lifestyle preference, and fitness requirements. To get your fully customized macro goals, check out this advanced macro calculator.