What education/degree do you have and πŸ€” does it correlate with what you're doing?

Lisa Dziuba
24 replies
Mine: kind of. I'm a Master of Computer Science and I'm was leading my tech startup, mostly doing user research, product marketing & product management, and community building. Does my degree correlate? Yes Does it help? Yes Am I doing what I was studying? Nooooo How about your degree?

Replies

Nico Prananta
I'm master in electrical engineering. no correlation at all with what i've been doing since I left the master course. What I learned in the university might not have any use with my work now, but connecting the dots, it brought me to where I am now :D
Lisa Dziuba
@nicnocquee "connecting the dots" :)
Lisa Dziuba
@nicnocquee yeah, many subjects what I learned, for example Pascal or Assembly, has zero correlation to what I'm doing now.
Lisa Dziuba
For my Master thesis I designed & programmed an automatic control system for a chemical plant, based on fuzzy logic and neural networks (Simulink/Matlab). That had nothing to do with me running a startup. BUT that helped me understand many technical concepts and boosted my self-confidence that I can do anything πŸ˜‚ Also, thanks to studying at my university, which is the oldest and strongest tech campus in Ukraine, I met my mentor, Jonathan Romley. It was ~2012 and Jonathan proposed to work with him, back then I was still a student and Jonathan was a serial US entrepreneur, who sold his company to Google. So, my tech education and being in the right place at the right time defined where I am right now :)
Lakshmi
Im an Electrical & Electronics Engineer with a Masters in Actuarial Science. Does it help? Yes. Correlate? Somewhat. Doing what I studied? Not directly.
Lisa Dziuba
@gogloballakshmi just curious, how did you choose you degree?
Lakshmi
@lisadziuba Great question! As an Indian daughter, my choices were between a doctor or engineer. Electrical & Electronic because it was exciting, playing with the motors n soldering circuits were like craft work. Actuarial was my choice, I wanted to learn how money worked and who, how n what decided the interest rates etc..
Lisa Dziuba
@gogloballakshmi > As an Indian daughter, my choices were between a doctor or engineer. We had such trends in Ukraine πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ as well, being a lawyer or doctor was very popular at some point. Engineering degree never was a popular destinations for local girls.
Lisa Dziuba
@gogloballakshmi thanks a lot for sharing your story!
Lakshmi
@lisadziuba girls are breaking the mould these days.. lets keep up the work, Cheers :)
Fajar Siddiq
I don't have any degree or diploma. Mostly self-taught and learn from tutorials
Lisa Dziuba
@fajarsiddiq any plans to obtain some degree? I was thinking to get a business one in several years
Imtiyaz - Curatora.io
@lisadziuba I'm a Master of Computer Science and I'm Engineer turn Entrepreneur. Of course, my degree correlates and it does help me in what I do. It's about the foundation you build, you can do the same without a degree but you need to learn and build that foundation.
Lisa Dziuba
@imtiyaz922 totally agree! it gives you a solid foundation.
Alexander Diatlov
I have master degree in Telecommunications Engineering.
Dillon Peterson
Physics. It does: It taught me how to think.
Lisa Dziuba
@dillon_peterson knowing how to think is the best skill :)
Dillon Peterson
@lisadziuba Agree!! Thank you ma’am! 🀠
Maria Foerster
I have a bachelor's degree in education, and I realized long ago that I want to teach and help students. But I've been a professional writer for many years now, I mostly write essays on various important topics such as air pollution, global warming, and so on. I have been very excited about teen pregnancy lately, so I've written a lot of essays about it, you can find more details in this useful reference. Why do I think this is an important topic worth talking about? Of course, because teen pregnancies carry extra health risks to both the mother and the baby. Often, teens don't get prenatal care soon enough, which can lead to problems later on. They have a higher risk for pregnancy-related high blood pressure and its complications. Risks for the baby include premature birth and low birth weight.
Lola Nickson
I stumbled upon this discussion on Product Hunt and found it to be an interesting and thought-provoking topic. As a recent graduate with a degree in computer science, I often wonder how much my education correlates with my current job. It's fascinating to see the diversity of degrees and experiences that people bring to their careers. The comments on this post are insightful and provide a wide range of perspectives. It's inspiring to see that people have been able to find success in their careers despite having degrees in areas that are seemingly unrelated to their current work. This discussion has encouraged me to explore other industries and pursue opportunities that I might not have considered otherwise. Furthermore, this discussion has reminded me of the importance of education and continuous learning. While our degrees may not always align with our current careers, the skills and knowledge gained through education are invaluable and can be applied to various fields. Overall, I found this discussion to be a valuable resource for those looking to gain insights into different career paths and educational backgrounds. It's also worth noting that this discussion could be useful for students looking to buy discussion board post as it provides valuable information and insights from individuals with a range of experiences and backgrounds.
Cassandra Claire
To write good essays, it is important to start by understanding the topic and purpose of the essay. Conducting research and organizing ideas into a clear and logical structure is also essential https://essaysempire.com/ A strong introduction that captures the reader's attention, a well-developed body that supports the thesis statement, and a conclusion that leaves a lasting impression are crucial elements of a successful essay. It is important to use appropriate vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation, while also demonstrating critical thinking and analysis. Additionally, revising and proofreading the essay before submission can help ensure it is polished and error-free.