What books would you recommend to a growing startup?

Yenire leal
28 replies
We know the importance found in the texts, so I would like to hear your recommendations. My recommendation is ... the lean startup method.

Replies

Ivan Ralic
My top 5 for every startup founder and team member πŸ˜„ ➜ E-myth - How to be an entrepreneur ➜ Lean startup - How to build products ➜ Mom test - How to talk to customers ➜ Zero to One - How to build a vision ➜ Predictable revenue - How to bring revenue Additional ➜ Predictably irrational - How to setup experiments and understand behavioral economy ➜ Never split the difference - How to negotiate ➜ 7 habits of highly successful people - How to stay sane while doing all this πŸ˜‚
Madhuri
@ralic Nice list Ivan! Whats your reading habit like? Do you draw parallels with your current product or you create notes for actionables? And how often do you come back to re-reading the books?
Ivan Ralic
@sonimadhuri thanks πŸ˜„ I mostly read books to solve a particular problem or improve what I'm doing at a concrete moment. I use workflowy for organizing my thoughts from books (and other mediums). Only books that I've actually re-read are the books I've read 5-10 years ago. But I very often go through notes and books when I'm solving a particular challenge I'm facing πŸ˜„ When it comes to reading habit, I'm a really slow reader. And I like hefty books in a physical form, so a match made in hell πŸ˜‚ That said, I'm often reading two books at a time. Let's call them: ➜ A roman - Ex. "Living with a seal" by Jesse Itzler - A few weeks ➜ A heavy weight - Ex. "Cancer code" by Jason Fung - A few months And since I've mentioned workflowy and taking notes I'll add additional book to the list: ➜ "How to take smart notes" by SΓΆnke Ahrens I know the title sounds cheesy but it's an awesome book to read πŸ˜„
Yenire leal
@ralic Thanks for sharing this list. I'll take it into account for my next readings.
Imtiyaz - Curatora.io
@ralic +1 for Predictable Revenues
Madhuri
@ralic started reading the mom test, mind blown!
Varun Kodnani
Hard things about hard things by Ben Horowitz. It’s my absolute favourite.
Nicholas Parker
@varun_kodnani thanks for sharing your suggestion and favorite one. From where I will buy it because I want to study it as I have to grow my https://golfvela.com/ startup.
Yenire leal
@varun_kodnani Great, I'll put it on my list.
Varun Kodnani
@nicholas_parker1 I think you should be able to get it on Amazon! It’s quite a popular book
Imtiyaz - Curatora.io
1. Zero to One by Peter Thiel 2. Traction by Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares I've found these two books very helpful to my entrepreneurial journey.
Yenire leal
@imtiyaz922 If you could share with us what you learned from these two books, what would it be?
Launching soon!
I will recommend Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days Book by Jessica Livingston. It is one of my favorite books.
Jas BG
I think one thing to realize is its not all strategy - I would also read some books on mindset and confidence - you are a badass by jen sincero - here me out! Its funny and makes you realize how much your own thinking can hold you back from success.
Yenire leal
@jasbanwait I share your thought. I try to vary the themes, whether they help me grow or learn something new.
Austin Font
The Mom Test by Rob Fitzpatrick. THIS IS A MUST READ! It changed my perspective on how to talk potential customers. It's a very practical guide that you can use from day 1.
Yenire leal
@austin_font Thanks for your contribution. This book will be one of my subsequent reads.
Ksusha
Now I read Peter Bregman - Leading with Emotional Courage This book is not about startup and business. Its about leadership and emotional managment. To make a startup you need to be a leader, to deal with emotions and communicate with people well
Yenire leal
@ksusha_golovchenko I totally agree, in this way we can build the culture of the organization, an Important focus of any startup.
Daniela Uemura
@ksusha_golovchenko Adding to my list, thank you for the recommendation!!
M Rashid
These are the most amazing ones I read: Book by Google Ventures - Sprint: Idea to design and prototype in 5 days: https://startupxperience.org/ser... The second best: Trajectory Startup: Ideation to Product Market Fit by Dave Parker https://startupxperience.org/ser... Start with Why by Simon Sinek: https://startupxperience.org/ser...
Yenire leal
@izholdings Thanks for sharing this information. This material is very useful for the startups.
Aleks Dahlberg
Zero to one and The Almanack of Naval Ravikant
Pip
I would say Blitzscaling by Reid Hoffman.