What book, fiction/non-fiction, changed a part of you and how?

Stuti Agarwal
85 replies
For me it was Forty Rules of Love, by Elif Shafak, and it greatly changed my understanding of my faith.

Replies

Raghav Goyal
Unfortunately, none, yet. I clearly need to read more!
Jenny Kephart
For me it was "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. Read it when I was 5 and the message has stuck with me all my life. I have a copy on my bookshelf right now!
Stuti Agarwal
@jenny_kephart can you tell me why? Would love to pick it up!
Eduard F
Came here to look for the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" comments 😂
Mayank Gupta
Ikigai - understanding the secret to long life Anti Fragile - how to take criticism and improve ourselves "Wind extinguishes a candle and energizes a fire"
Himanshi
Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Haven't completed it, but, it's beautiful in it's hope and hopelessness. Possessing the Secret of Joy- the story, the constant inner dialog, and what comes out - so real, painful, and moving.
Anastasija Gromova
I've read a lot of books in my life. But the most important book was Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind". It was the main character who gave the impetus to achieve the goals.
Mindbreath
Blink -Malcolm Gladwell
Vlad Dribas
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky. This is my life-changing desc book. Every re-reading is something new. I advise it instead of the bible
Stuti Agarwal
@dribas Harry Potter I get. Can you tell me a little about Methods of Rationality?
Vlad Dribas
@stuti Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is an alternate universe Harry Potter fanfiction written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, an AI researcher and decision theorist at the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence. Harry's aunt Petunia didn't marry Vernon Dursley, but did marry a scientist and professor at Oxford. And Harry grew up in such a family. So what if someone who knows scientific method and has rational thinking gets to magic world? World ruled by aristocrats, where people are judged by blood and where noone knows what is hypothesis or experiment. This book is a real guide how we should look at the world, what questions should ask and all these wrapped in a cool story.
Olesya Malysheva
I haven't been reading much lately.
Pallavi Jaisinghani
Every book I have read have helped me grow into the person I'm & will continue to do so. If I talk about 1 book, it has to be Century Trilogy by Ken Follet It is an historical epic throwing light on the times during World War. It made me become more grateful for everything :)
Stuti Agarwal
@pallavi_jaisinghani thank you for sharing. Will definitely add this to my list. On my own journey of finding faith.
Sage Will
life without limps, I was in a dark place in 2014 when I came across the book and it helped me realize nothing is quite that final in life, if you fail, well tomorrow is still another day.
Senin
This is going to be weird but the Percy Jackson series. It was the first series that got me hooked to reading. Every time I've been in a reading block, I pick up a Rick Riordan book because his writing is so immersive that it pulls me out of it.
Eugenia Russell
@senin This is great. It is also fantastic for getting kids interested in history and mythology. Immersive is exactly the right word.
Stuti Agarwal
@senin yes yes yes! One hundred percent with you on this. I feel the same about Rick. And Rick feels like a friend I can call Rick.
Isaac Ng
Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. Read it when I was 13 or 14? The fiction was mind-blowing. The story was so masterfully told that I felt the struggles, ego and the victories that the characters experienced. Stuck with me ever since!
Emma Phượng Nguyễn
The art of thinking clearly of Rolf Dobelli with 99 examples of cognitive bias. Good for a short commute or on airplane.
Shyam Prasad Reddy
I recently read 'The Almanack of Naval Ravikant' by Eric Jorgenson. It was simply superb. It is available for free somewhere! I consider Naval as the modern-age Gautama Buddha!
Stuti Agarwal
@shyam_prasad_reddy would hate to download it for free, being an author myself. But shall definitely pick it up.
Scott Ableman
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader This book captures the difference between being a middle manager, and being a true strategic executive.
Stuti Agarwal
@quakerwildcat funnily, I never considered myself a leader. So should pick this up to see if it’s true.
David Bressler
The Optimistic Child, by Martin Seligman. This is a vaccine for depression for kids, but as adults, it’s like a handbook for handing situations that can be difficult. Well worth reading. Though, if you are the child of divorce, The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce is the absolute best.
Tanoy Chowdhury
I will go ahead and name two: “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini and “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. Both have a story of love and loss which connects with the real life at so many levels.