What are your favorite Discord bots?

Ryan Hoover
37 replies
I'm working on a new project that will start as a Discord server. What bots have you found most useful and how do you use them? Bonus points: What bots should exist? Maybe someone here will be excited to build it. 😊

Replies

Suzanne Nguyen
MEE6 has been the best one so far. A bot that onboards will be great, Discord can be overwhelming for the first time users.
Marcus Michaels
Anonymous feedback bots are great for teams to share their honest opinions
Shashwat Singhal
@marcusmichaels oh this interesting, which one do you use?
raihan_
I’m absurdly biased but I love the FWB Events Bot and custom scrapers. Beyond that, I think StatBot and Mee6 are indispensable!
Mark Turner
@raihan_ can you give a link to the FWB Events Bot?
Regina Walton
I'm coming in from the user side. For me, the bots that onboard and walk me through. I'm the admin on one server only, so I'll let those more versed in the best onboard bots to share from here. I've been in some Discord channels that don't have those or haven't set them up efficiently, I don't stay for long.
Gabriel Romero
@reginawalton Can you share some more insights on what a properly set Discord bot looks like for you?!
Kyle Pendergast
Modmail is a lifesaver. Mee6, autopublisher, and dyno are all great too.
Mike Finney
(Sent you a LinkedIn message with a connection request. *How are we not connected yet? w-t-heck? :)* Message contains.. "Ryan, I know a person who is an admin of a famous Discord server group; Christiaan Neeteson. Meditation Mind is the group - 4601 members. 665 online as I look at it." I suggest asking him. He's also an Online Marketing Manager which is very cool too. Hope it helps!
Leah Lundqvist
tunes.ninja has been super useful for my community. We share a lot of music with each other, but a lot of us use different streaming services. So, whenever someone posts a link to a song on one of the major streaming services, the bot replies with buttons to open the track in the streaming service of your choice. So freaking useful! And it uses the new Button components that were recently added so it looks super clean as well. Highly recommend it!
Leah Lundqvist
Another honourable mention: Pronoun Picker. It’s Discord’s official pronoun picker bot that they made for pride month. Super easy to set up which is nice 😊 https://dis.gd/pronoun-bot
Jack LaFond
@rekkyrek thanks for the mention on tunes.ninja leah :)
Jack LaFond
I'm the developer of tunes.ninja, a supercharged Discord bot focusing on bridging the gap between streaming services. The bot, using super cool APIs, takes a song link from Apple Music / Spotify / SoundCloud / Tidal / YouTube and replies with links to the song on all streaming platforms, allowing ease of access to share music if you're not on a specific platform. Just recently I also launched some super cool features like synced playlists on Spotify and Spotify playback control right through Discord - the bot is open source as well and I'm always looking for more features to add :)
Shashwat Singhal
@laf0nd I just added your bot to our server, and like it quite a bit. Really good work man! I had tried to do something similar with Spotify, Apple Music and Youtube, but the interface that you have created is quite spot on. Will use it a lot more over the next few days, and will get back to you with how my experience goes. Again, really amazing work! Let me know if I can help somehow as well.
Jack LaFond
@lishash thank you so much Shashwat! using and sharing the bot is plenty of help, I'll need to write up some contribution guidelines on GitHub if you fancy TypeScript at all :) let me know if you need anything!
I personally like MEE6 and help run a server that uses it. Has a pretty great range of functionalities. I've also heard decent things about Carl-bot and DYNO but personally haven't used them. MEE6: https://mee6.xyz/ Carl: https://carl.gg/ DYNO: https://dyno.gg/ One thing I haven't really seen is an open-source bot w/ great UI. Imagine MEE6 but open-source that allows a more tech-savvy user to go in and say add emoji-based rewards for example or even better reward users with tokens that can interact on the blockchain.
Daniel I Gartenberg
Heya Ryan - check out this bot we made to deliver cognitive behavioral therapy for improving sleep quality called Doctor Snooze 🤖 https://sleepspace.com/dr-snooze...
Marlo Stanfield
Start with no bots, then recruit admins from among your users to handle this. It'll happen easily, naturally and organically that way. I'll be an admin and help you out if you want.
Ryan Hoover
@humboldtproject appreciate that, Marlo! I'm working with a few folks now but may open this up to a much wider audience in the coming weeks. To your point, I agree it's best to do things manually and then add bots as clear needs arise.
Barce
The discord-role-bot for auto assignment of roles. BetterAntiSpam to deal with the grift.
Barce
For the bonus points... In my LLPSI (Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrate) Discord (Latin Language Server) there's been nothing to keep people motivated to finish the Lingua Latina book. The folks that have finished it did it out of sheer will. A great bot would be something that nudges people to keep reading Lingua Latina and not give up. Another great bot would be a bot that reminds you to keep chatting with someone because you have something there in terms of a potential friendship. I would so work on these but these days, I'm working primarily on Arabic NLP in Elixir. (Yes, the community is porting a ton of machine learning stuff into Elixir for real time ML).
Sat Panesar
- Collab.land, Sesh Bot, Welcome Mod, POAP Bot, Captcha - Not sure if SourceCred has a bot that we use but that's cool - Someone definitely needs to create a history bot that can be an exportable archive of an individual's activity (just in case you leave a server or Discord over corrects with their spam/hack bot) - A searchable directory of users that you share servers with - A bot that lets someone know when they have a Hot-mic during a community call (at least from an Admin dashboard - something better than mute button) - A timer-bot that times when someone is invited on stage to ask a question and then plays them off nicely with music when their time is approaching (we've been doing this manually and it works a charm) Plenty of others - but they may not all be Bot-table 🤖
James Young
totally biased - Collab.Land bot for crypto based communities. These NFT communities are the evolution of social and crypto. More community than “social” (as in social media). Community finance - ComFi (pronounced comfy)?
Chris Lee Jacob
Collab Land https://collab.land/ COMMUNITIES WITH SKIN IN THE GAME Collab.Land leverages the power of identity through crypto currency to create a social space unique to a specific network of humans. Once you add the bot to your Telegram group or Discord guild, they will manage your people for you. Depending on their token holdings they will be allowed to join the community. If they sell, the bot boots them.
Catherine Raffaele
One of my favourite things about Discord are react bots e.g Zira https://top.gg/bot/2758138017926... You just have to react to an emoji to set off a role based automation (like being able to access a channel or get updates etc). Makes customisation for members easy and fun!