What are your experiences with: Free Trial with payment details vs without?

Mukhtar Mohamoud
11 replies
I'm currently doing some research on whether we should include payment details when users are signing up for a trial, similar to what Netflix or SkillShare have successfully implemented or if we should do our free trials without the need to include payment details. Benefits with payment details included in free trial signup: - Higher conversion to paid - Higher quality customer - Better customer retention - Not having to deal with unfinished / idle trials Cons with payment details included in free trial signup: - Higher bounce rate - Potential sour taste / experience - Slower early growth I pose the question to you, what are your thoughts and experiences of this? P.s. would love to be directed to useful resources too.

Replies

Jan-Joachim Müller
I think what @sunebthorsen says is true. Somehow one does not want to provide payment details for a free trial. On the other hand (from a business perspective) I would argue that insisting on providing payment details ensures that most people will only be able to make use of the free trial period once. So it is harder for customers to scam the business by using the free trial period repeatedly.
Mukhtar Mohamoud
@sunebthorsen @m_jan_joachim -- I agree, from a business point of view, it's a good practice and puts you in a strong position but from a customer perspective, it might also be good because then it makes them question whether this is ACTUALLY something they need / value. I take trials more seriously when I give my payment details, I also value the product a lot more :D
Sune B. Thorsen
@sunebthorsen @m_jan_joachim @mukhtarmohamoud I do agree that having to provide payment details does make me question if I really need the product. Oftentimes, I just find the answer to be "no". I think this has to do with the fact that it's incredibly difficult to sell me something off of just having read about it for a few minutes on a website. If, however, you get me into the "fold" by giving me a no-credit-card-needed free trial, I'm much more likely to pay if I enjoy it. If I gave you my details and didn't enjoy the product, I wouldn't continue paying anyway. So there are potential customers to lose by forcing me to provide credit card details, but not a lot to lose by letting me try the product without payment details. If you're concerned about people abusing the free trial by creating multiple accounts, you could ask people for their phone number during signup as a middle way. Ultimately though... if people really go through the trouble of creating multiple accounts to abuse the free trial, at least you know you've got a winning product on your hands! And so for everyone creating multiple accounts, there are most likely many others who will pay! :)
Jan-Joachim Müller
@sunebthorsen @m_jan_joachim @mukhtarmohamoud I like that last part about 'the trouble of creating multiple accounts' :D that surely sounds reasonable but I am not quite sure if one is able to generalize this behaviour. There are many other factors one has to take into account when deciding if your free trial should be bound to providing details or not. So this might has to be checked on a case by case basis meaning that you should either 'ask' your customers or make something like A/B testing.
Sune B. Thorsen
@sunebthorsen @m_jan_joachim @mukhtarmohamoud I do 110% agree that this should always be considered on a case-by-case basis. Absolutely - good point.
Sune B. Thorsen
I don't have experience with this from a business perspective, but as an end-user, I will almost never sign up to a free trial that requires payment details unless it's a well-established brand. Yes, Netflix and others can get away with it, but I have never been willing to share my payment details with a new website I have only just heard about. I have no problem paying for a product or service I need, but I just don't like potentially forgetting about my free trial and then automatically being charged. I don't represent everyone, but I do think a lot of people feel similarly.
Simon Blok
@sunebthorsen Agree with this. I will not sign up or i have the trust/experience it's worth the payment. Alternatively i should be convinced by a working demo separate from the sign up process. But the value must then be very clear!
Mukhtar Mohamoud
Thank you for your input Sune, this is definitely something I need to think about, business wise AND technicality wise.
JohanDT
We are soon implementing payment with free trial in our ship: http://bit.ly/3bOc2sV It's only a 7 day free trial, but our decision was based on the quality and type of our product. It requires dedication and the right intention to use it, therefore a payment solution was needed.