What are your biggest challenges as an early stage founder?

Dhruv Bhatia
50 replies

Replies

Ludovico Petrali
Difficult question Druv - As always it is very difficult to answer because it depends from what you are building, the sector and the stage. First of all I think that comunication is a big barrier even if sometimes we don't recognize it - Both with with users and investors, having a clear valeu proposition is crucial, sometimes it's even more effective than the quality of the product itself in converting users. So I would say finding the value porposition to attract the ideal customer, the ideal VCs, and the ideal people you want onboard with you!
Dhruv Bhatia
@ludovico_petrali Interesting answer, makes sense. Agreed that communication and clarity about personas are big barriers
Guillaume Mathieu
@ludovico_petrali Oh yes, I support this one! It is very hard to find a compelling value proposition, that "one phrase that encapsulate your whole business idea". Especially in early stage, being unable to find that can be a showstopper to move to the next stage.
Ludovico Petrali
@guillaume_mathieu1 I gave a quick look at Comobi website, that's cool! Are you planning on launching an app as well?
Guillaume Mathieu
@ludovico_petrali Yes!! We are developping an app on Flutter, and will launch on PH in beg. of june! Stay tuned!
Ludovico Petrali
@guillaume_mathieu1 I will, we are in the same space actually - we are building a software solution for apps similar to Comobi to reach organic growth at lower CAC. Not live yet but trials are promising! so stay tuned as well
Anthony Mainero
It takes a ton of searching and testing to find great distribution channels, work them, and respond to what they need. When they come and stay though, it's the most motivating thing :)
Dhruv Bhatia
@anthonymainero haha totally :) Which distribution channels have worked well for you so far?
Daniel Engels
a mix of the first two options I guess
Dhruv Bhatia
@daniel_engels makes sense :) Any strategies / channels that you recommend?
Patrick
@dhruv_bhatia @daniel_engels yeah that's where we started as well. Low barrier to entry, and easy to see relevant potential users
Daniel Engels
@dhruv_bhatia linkedin outreach is the easiest to start with.
Alexey Shashkov
My biggest challenge as an early-stage founder is to find good product ideas. I know I have to validate any product ideas/hypotheses/assumptions to find the most important thing for potential customers/users. But how can I find those product ideas to validate? That's my biggest obstacle now. =)
Ludovico Petrali
@shashcoffe Not easy, I think its a mix between a natural gift and the ability the observate, listen and get exposure to a lot of different experiences, something will come!
Dhruv Bhatia
@shashcoffe agree with @ludovico_petrali, I'd also add that the best ideas come from experience. If you hang in there long enough to observe and iterate, you'll land on something
Dow Osage, MBA
There's a nexus where these all meet but I would word it slightly differently. We tend to keep users but seek to drive engagement deeper & broader - more frequent visits and more intense usage as a measure of delivered value. Early it was hardest to get users through the onboard funnel as there's a trust issue and those that did come through were often 'tire-kickers' - presented with less enthusiasm (click around but don't do much). Luckily for us, they keep their accounts though and swung back by periodically (often after a nudge or two) and as we've rolled out more features we've been able to increase engagement for many of them.
Dhruv Bhatia
@dow_osage very interesting. I'd love to learn more about how you re-activated users with a nudge? Was it because the value proposition suddenly made sense to them?
Dow Osage, MBA
@dhruv_bhatia Yes exactly. As we've rolled out improvements, each has been an opportunity to re-engage the community.
Paul VanZandt
Personally, I find that finding early adopters is the biggest struggle. Hopefully, our product hunt launch on May 11th helps move this along www.producthunt.com/upcoming/fresco 😉
Bertha Kgokong
Managing my time between everything that I need to do, trying to be a jack of all trades with a million balls in the air.
Dhruv Bhatia
@berthakgokong agreed Bertha, I struggle with the same :(
Mounir Nejjai
I guess the biggest challenge is to choose the right battle... What's the priority of the day is the hardest question each morning.
Dhruv Bhatia
@mounir_nejjai very interesting point! I struggle with this everyday
Tobias Görtz
I would even add something different: finding the right people for your team or co-founders. Especially when you have a deeply technical product. But if you have a good team, validating your idea + finding early adopters is the hardest.
Maya Ben Zid
I think distribution and generating leads are the hardest at this stage. It's a vicious cycle where prospects want to see testimonials so it's hard to convince them before you actually have a client base. Once you get the first few clients, you can get their feedback and use it to convert future prospects. Also, considering how organic distribution is very much dying (social media reaches have been steadily lower and there's a pressing need to invest in ads), building a community without investing in paid promotion is a challenge.
diki24
The right problem to solve. I would say that is pre-early stage :)
Samyak Tripathi
To go past your Early Adopters so that you can Scale Up without being disturbed by competition
Firmao
We are constantly planning to launch the product on the foreign market. Application? Mission Impossible. The competition is fierce, but we are not giving up.
Dhruv Bhatia
@firmao_net Yes, keep at it, it takes time and iterations
Arun Pariyar
There so many topics that have early been mentioned but I didn't see product market fit. Customers are floating in pockets and finding the pocket where you customers are is one of the biggest challenge. Especially now more than ever where people are in several different communities and getting their attention is tough. It's from here that I feel startups start getting their first early adopters and things start to roll forward.
Dylan Merideth
understanding how to market effectively is a huge challenge for us as we are both more more technical leaning than sales oriented. This has been a change we have made, with one of us trying to learn and own that function so that some expertise can acrue
Dhruv Bhatia
@dylan_merideth Ah totally empathize with this. I'm a technical solo founder, so understand the challenges of marketing You'll learn though, keep going!
Dylan Merideth
@dhruv_bhatia Dhruv thanks for the well wishes! Much appreciated and best wishes in return.
Guillaume Mathieu
Users ... definitely. Spent a lot of time strategizing, designing and building the product. Somehow neglected the "build the community of early adopters" part and now struggling to reach them to move to next step of iteration/improvement.
Guillaume Mathieu
@dhruv_bhatia yeah, learning the hard way... where is the rewind button??
Dhruv Bhatia
@guillaume_mathieu1 Ah, building a community is quite important from the get go. I'd say from day -1
Dhruv Bhatia
@guillaume_mathieu1 Haha, start today...it's never too late :)