What are you biggest learnings from creating your own product ?

Arun Pariyar
54 replies
Be your product was a success or a failure there must have been some lessons you learned, please share with us :)

Replies

Nikhil Bapna
Many... it's harder than one things... Really learnt to organize myself and work in a systematic manner... others who have never built anything is their lives just don't get the challenge while real builders understand you like no one else. Creating something for this world is the most fulfilling thing ever.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @nikhilbapna, That is very motivating and I saw that SimplyLocal managed to be #3 on PH, Thats fantastic. All the best ahead 👍
Yuri Lisin
Last year we’ve launched 7 projects, 6 of them failed, so what can I say is: - Don’t give out desirable for valid. It’s better to manifest you’re doing something simple, but useful and gradually evolve rather than trying to implement your ultimate product from scratch; - Your journey will always be challenging, but if you feel stressed or uncertain, probably you’ve chosen the wrong tactics. Your next step always should be exciting, even if you’re a bit nervous. But no tension 🧘🏽 - Do not shelve inspiring ideas, they come for a reason; - Always keep synced with your team. The more people concentrate on the same goal, the quicker the progress bar is getting filled; - Constantly connect with new people and share what you’re doing, they will be your navigators. And don’t forget to enjoy the ride:)
Arun Pariyar
@yuryfication Hats off for no giving up after despite 6 setbacks. I am sure anyone that will read your experience will be benefited immensely 🙏
Bernard Badó
@yuryfication Spoken like a true creatot
Ryan Gilbert
After publishing a newsletter for 2 years and ~150 editions I have learned that consistency > everything else. If you stay at something long enough, you're bound to catch some breaks and have things start to go your way. It might be a slow grind but staying consistent and making tweaks related to feedback along the way will pay dividends down the road.
Arun Pariyar
@ryangilbert That is truly an amazing feat of perseverance that you have shown with you the newsletters and I this is something that I need to instil myself, Thank you for sharing 👍
Sanja Mitar
The saying "build it and they will come" isn't actually true. The saying should be "build an amazing marketing/GTM Team and they will come" 😂
Arun Pariyar
Hey @sanja_mitar, 💯 Good marketing does wonders but Great marketing does magic 🧞‍♂️
Fernando Pessagno
As a solo founder, I know it can be extremely overwhelming to think about creating a profitable product. While working on my side project (www.resumemaker.online), ending up earning money never crossed my mind. Even if it sounds counterintuitive, I think this undisturbed and humble approach to just try to have fun and design a useful product can be the key to avoid frustration, not biting more than you could chewed, and ultimately ship a product.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @fer_momento thanks for sharing that your experience. I think this as you mentioned can be a great way for individuals who want create something without profit in mind  👍
Paul VanZandt
You are the only agent of change in your life/business. It's easy to think that things will just "happen" or "fall into place" but the reality is nothing will happen unless you devote concerted effort to making it a reality.
Louis Min
Sometimes creating the product is the easier part of the business. Finding customers and PMF is arguably much harder. Don't underestimate the later.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @louismin I couldn't agree more I have seen this first hand myself and understand how challenging it is to find the Product market fit especially for products that are a niche. I think this is the reason why creating a Minimum Viable Community is something that is being given more attention among startups.
Georgy Nemtsov
Creating a product is like pushing a brick wall with your forehead. If you keep pushing for years, the brick wall finally falls apart. It's painful and daunting but the reward is huge.
Arun Pariyar
Thanks @georgy_nemtsov that paints the picture 💯
Emmanuel Lefort
Reading books on how to build a startup or a product is as useful as reading books on how to play tennis :) Being on the tennis court is the only way to learn. Now if you can have a coach, it's better.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @emmanuel_lefort1, You are absolutely correct. The only way to learn to swim is to just swim 🏊‍♀️
Dylan Merideth
Solving a problem makes everything easier, marketing, market segmentation, content strategy, go-to-market, roadmaps, feature building to name a few. Start with a problem (annoyance, inefficiency, frustration) and go from there
Arun Pariyar
Thanks for bring it down to the basic @dylan_merideth. Solving a problem is at heart of every good Product 💯
Dylan Merideth
@arunpariyar Thank you! Your discussion topics are always interesting and make me think. Keep it up friend
Arun Pariyar
Thanks @dylan_merideth that means a lots 🙏
Rich Watson
Surrounding yourself with a team or contributors who have the same passion, drive, and work ethic helps with development progression. The most gratifying feeling is when a userbase around what you've created starts to build, and you see people genuinely enjoy what you've created. The monetization is just gratuity at that point.
Arun Pariyar
@richw 🤝 Creating a Great Product is a Team effort. So, as you mentioned having the right people is indeed key to growth and success 🌱
Denis Shabanov
When we first created https://ucanremote.com/, we made some mistakes that slowed down our development a bit. The main lesson is to communicate accurately with the client. You have to be as specific as possible in your description. When we started doing CustDev with the wrong people, we ran into a mismatch between the product and the market.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @dashabanov I too have seen this happen. It important to only make development decision once we confirm the change is needed comes from a bigger customer segment otherwise this could lead to a wrong pivot. Small thing but can make a big impact, Thanks for sharing.
Brian Nutt
I’ve designed and built multiple products and can say the only thing I’m 100% confident in at the start is that some part of my plan will be terribly wrong. The goal is to find that flaw early and be courageous enough to switch gears towards a new, more successful path.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @brian_nutt , Early feedback from potential users is a great way to deal with this but I have a feeling that you already know this. If you have any other specific methods that help you identify the flaws, please do share 👍
Brian Nutt
@arunpariyar I should have been more specific. By plan, I meant "business plan". It seems without fail that when launching a new project there is some part that I'm completely convinced will be the big winner. But then I find that I'm terribly wrong. Those points in time often present big, impactful decisions that only founders can make. If you have customers to help steer you, yes definitely listen. If not, your only feedback might just be your gut!
Sean Song
Positioning. Definitely Positioning and always positioning. I started Sugr Cube (https://www.producthunt.com/post..., thanks to PH, we launched here) almost 8 years ago, the hardware was great, carefully and thoughtfully designed and crafted. (I omit thousands of words here about its design philosophy and the respect I showed to Steve Jobs through Sugr Cube, love it so much). But from the business point of view, I started without a careful and thoughtful positioning. What's worse, as a business, you have to build your whole parts and mussels around the positioning (dev team, supply chain, fund, target audience, growth strategy, branding, etc.) Without a proper positioning, though we worked super hard, we couldn't make it scale.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @seansong, This reminds me the main priority of business before things went digital i.e. Location, Location, Location. But Yeah, as you said the business point of view is an equally if not more important aspect of a products success. Thank for pointing that out :)
Sean Song
@arunpariyar sure thing, during the years, I developed one of Sugr's philosophy: every problem is from internal. If not, the problem was not analyzed deeply enough.
Siyamak Mehdipour
Women’s Blog – Pinkinpurple.com Website for women – an online magazine – interesting, useful articles on all occasions. Psychology of relationships, self-development, health and beauty, recipes and useful tips. House, cottage, garden and vegetable garden, home cooking. Diets, proper nutrition. Traditional medicine, divination, astrology, folk omens, prayers and incantations. And much more you will find on our site.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @siyamak_mehdipour, I can understand that your need to showcase Pinkinpurple for its success. We here at product hunt are all about creating something new and making it a success, here you will find a very supportive community but I would advise to keep it relevant and use creativity to showcase yourself. In this case perhaps share what your learnings from creating Pinkinpurple that would be wonderful and help you create more engagement even. Hope this helps for next time and we wish you all the best with Pinkinpurple 👍
Justin George
As a developer, not difficult to create products. As you develop more, you might end up creating better UX. But the same skill doesn't reflect in finding customers. That's the hard part, at-least for me.
Arun Pariyar
💯 @georgejustin22, product fit and a great marketing strategy to get your customers tough. I think thats why it's important to team with people across skillsets for the best chance for success.
Maya Ben Zid
- Always ask for feedback (be it your team, prospects, clients, or people online). Helpful suggestions definitely came our way through this. - Don't overcomplicate: redundant features complicate onboarding and drain computing resources. - Culture is key: building a product is important but so is bonding as a team. It's okay to have meetings that aren't work-only. - Don't expect quick successes: most of the things you are working on (the product itself, distribution, customer success) will pay off in the long run.
Arun Pariyar
Hey @maya_ovice, You have highlighted many some of the most fundamental things that a startup should not adopt and apply, Thank you 🚀
Halsey Filbin
Make sure you have a good way of tracking what you are doing for marketing! Try a couple different things at a time on a small scale. Then with your analytics see what is working and then look into scaling those ideas
Arun Pariyar
Hey @halsey_filbin, You touched up on something very specific but underrated. I hope the readers who are thinking about marketing will take this to heart.
Chris Hohner
Still learning everyday, but the main thing I see is that you can have the greatest product in the world, but without marketing, it is like finding a needle in a haystack. So for me, transitioning from design & development to marketing manager is going to be the biggest challenge and learning curve.
Arun Pariyar
Indeed @wp_reactions, This is probably the biggest reason why many products fail to raise.
Diana Akhmetova
Creating a product is not that hard, you need money and personal motivation. It's hard to find people who believe in the product as much as you do. People who will go through with it no matter what. And it's not about the quality of the product or its profitability. It's about the people themselves, today most of them need the here and now. And the lesson was that you have to not stop believing in people and their capabilities. And then the dream team comes together 👌🏼
Arun Pariyar
Hi @diana_sfera , that was a really valid and bold view you shared. People are indeed at the very core of all great things we want to create. I visited the SFERA website and was impressed with what your team is doing. Thanks for bring your insight and all the best to you and your team 👍
Diana Akhmetova
@arunpariyar Thank you so much! I wish all the best to you too! 🙏🏼