What are the questions you ask when deciding to build your product in public?

Sindhu Shivaprasad
4 replies
How do you decide if it’s for you? Are there risks to this approach? What does building in public entail?

Replies

Prakhar Shivam
Hi Sindhu, thanks for the prompt. IMO, the important questions could be: - What's the intention - What's the desired outcome - How does it affect an individual's or the team's productivity P.S. Defining OKRs can also be helpful for this.
Preeti Chovoor
I would ask if it is useful and what group would it benefit the most? Part of building a product in public is being confident in your idea!
Monil Shah
I think the following question is apt, but the answer can be very scary (albeit useful)- "Would your business survive/thrive without product ___"? Most of the time the answer to this question is "yes", but I think the goal is to get as close as possible to "no", wherein the business very clearly sees the value of your product. Good luck! Feel free to check us out here: https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Akash Bhadange
I never ask any direct questions related to our product. Try to keep the conversation organic. As a maker, you need to catch the "signals" which validate/invalidate your hypothesis or assumptions about your product/idea.