What are the pros/cons of working while vacationing?

Siddhesh Lokare
69 replies
I have never tried this but would love to take a long work from anywhere trip and go somewhere far from my place. But would you enjoy? would you be efficient? or would you end up screwing up both?

Replies

Natalie Karakina
I call it WORCATION – you pretended to be local and balance between work and other activities
Natalie Karakina
@siddhesh_lokare1 Yes. It works! But I put a lot to be good at time-management
Siddhesh Lokare
@nataliekarakina That's a good way to put it. Have you tried it before? How did it work for you?
Siddhesh Lokare
@nataliekarakina That is always going to be THE CASE!
Chandan Das
you can not enjoy according to your holiday plan. best part is need to work from home
Manish Rawat
Pro: You score good points with your boss Con: You are stuck between work and pleasure just like any other day I personally feel when vacationing make it short and sweet. It gives you a break from work without missing anything major and you get to enjoy all the good things of a different place for a short period of time.
Siddhesh Lokare
@manish_rawat1 So would you prefer taking short vacations to relieve yourself from that zone?
Manish Rawat
@siddhesh_lokare1 Yup, it does sometimes cost more coz of additional traveling expenses to save time but totally worth it. Taking a break from work has improved my productivity.
Richard Francis
Pro: you still get paid 💸 Con: you can't enjoy your vacation 😭
Siddhesh Lokare
@richard_francis2 That pro also has a con because you spend that money on accommodation anyways :P
Richard Francis
@siddhesh_lokare1 Yeah I guess it's pretty much all con 😂
Akash
The purpose of vacation is defeated if you carry your work thoughts to a new place. So no question of working on vacation. If you want to work, then can't call it a Vacation
Siddhesh Lokare
@akash_ambade1 But don't they say work feels like vacation if you love what you do? Do you believe that?
Akash
@siddhesh_lokare1 Absolutely... but in this chaotic world, except artists I doubt anybody in the corporate world feels that way anymore :D
Cica-Laure Mbappé
Pros: at least you're out of the office and you work in a cool place. Con: you can't have a real break. Mental load. You can't schedule your day as you want (unexpected meetings and calls)
Siddhesh Lokare
@cica_laure_mbappe That feeling of finding a fresh place to work is something we value the most now! COVID changed everything :D
Andrew Forkner
Lot's to think about - and always prepare for the worst. I'm currently doing it from an RV and here's a few things to consider: 1) Is the timezone difference going to inhibit your work? Are you going to be hosting meetings while everyone else is going to dinner? 2) Are you going with a partner or a large group? Is it fair to the large group to ask them to be quiet while you continue to work? Are you going to be taking meetings while your travel partner is taking a nap? 3) Have multiple failover plans for wifi - don't expect the hotel/airbnb to be up to snuff. Personally, I have hotspots from 2 different providers, including wifi provided by campgrounds. 4) Set expectations with your team - that you may be working off hours but committed to getting your tasks done. 5) Have fun with it!! If you're truly on vacation, ensure that you take a few days truly off, don't work the whole time. 6) Double and triple check you have all your chargers, etc. I use a Mac with Sidecar to use my iPad as a secondary screen and it works wonders, but make sure to test it before you go. If I can think of more, I'll update!
Siddhesh Lokare
@andrew_forkner So well put and explained. Yes, having fun is significant. Finding the perfect harmony between work and fun needs to be talked about. More we are in sync with our routine and habits more we tend to enjoy!
Ubani Danvers
It's really simple Pros: 1. You get to rest your mind, and actually live your life 2. The surroundings gets more attention 3. Family can have more Cons: 1. The struggle in moving from relax/lofi mood to work-hard mode.
Siddhesh Lokare
@orbin8 Ugh. That getting back to the square one part. That must suck! It's that MONDAY SYNDROME nobody can escape :/
Jack Davis
Just make dedicated time when you plan to do your work and stick to it!
Eugene Hauptmann
Just spent 3 days in the mountains without *any* devices, highly recommend!
Siddhesh Lokare
@eugenehp Wow. Any few psychological takeaways?
Eugene Hauptmann
@siddhesh_lokare1 It's a famous work & life balance. You can not really rest when you work while vacationing.
Harsh Gupta
As an entrpreneur, i find my work to be vacation. so i am working and vacation at the same time (yes, i am a workaholic)
Siddhesh Lokare
@harshguptaproton Do you feel sometimes you lose interest in having fun as you are more inclined towards building fun?
PINOY Flix
You can bookmark our website for Fresh Content. pinoy1 tv first drama site to release the latest episodes of All new Dramas.
Primer
I think the key thing would be to very clearly have set in your mind that it's not a vacation. You'd need to mentally frame it as work, but from cool places. And then I think it would be fine.
Siddhesh Lokare
@mickc79 Oh. So, do you believe it's all about subjective intentions and perspectives?
Primer
@siddhesh_lokare1 I guess so. It's about setting mental expectations. If you look on it as a vacation then working feels like a pain; an obstacle. So I believe the thing to do is to set the bar at the right level eg. "I'm working, this isn't a holiday, but I'm doing so from some really awesome locations that I can make the most of outside my work hours... I am very lucky"
Siddhesh Lokare
@mickc79 Glad to hear that! Perspective matters!
William M. Peters
fun day everyday hahahaha
Siddhesh Lokare
@williammpeters585 Haha seems like you sarcastically love it :P
Siddhesh Lokare
3 major lessons I perceived from these answers : 1. Work and vacation mean different things to different mindsets. 2. Routines and habits are not restrictive but actually liberating. 3. Not everyone is striving for balance.
Emir Tara
con: it's no longer a vacation
Siddhesh Lokare
@solomon_geiser Haha more like artificial vacation :P
Pallavi Jaisinghani
Our team went for a month for a workcation to Manali & they are enjoying it so much that they have extended it for another month. You can read their experience to know what it is like. https://blog.walkover.in/if-you-...
Siddhesh Lokare
@pallavi_jaisinghani Read the article. Found so much of peace and happiness in reading it. Good one Pallavi!
Yo Desi
i don't recommend it bcz you will not be focused and its not good
Zoya Matin
Ugh you can never really sit back and relax - always so tense about work. But at the same time.. You don't have to worry about logging in your holidays!