What advice would you give someone who is starting their own company?

Ayush Jangra ✦
163 replies
I wish someone had told me how much time it would take. I was so naive when I started my company, thinking that it would be easy to get off the ground and make a name for myself. What I didn't realize until later is that there's so much work involved in building a business and so many things that can go wrong. I'm grateful for my experience now, but if I could go back and tell myself something about starting a company, it would be: "Don't expect things to go smoothly. And if you had to pivot... PIVOT!"

Replies

Chetan Natesh
Speak to customer as much as possible.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@chetan_natesh I agree, speaking to customers is so important. It's amazing how much information you can glean from a conversation that you might not have thought of otherwise.
Aaron O'Leary
Don't be put down by failures; it happens to everyone; keep getting back up. Don't be stubborn to change, the market doesn't care about your emotions.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@aaronoleary I agree with this completely. 💯 You have to be resilient and keep going, even when it seems like your business is doomed. I think that's why there are so many successful entrepreneurs out there they've learned how to pick themselves up after a failure and start over again. It's so easy to get down on yourself when things aren't going your way, but I also think that being able to admit your mistakes and keep getting back up is the key to success in business. And I think it's important not to be too stubborn about changing your approach you have to listen to what the market is telling you!
Bakemono Fra
Another thing for me is to work on something that you’re truly passionate about! It might sound clichè but running a company is very hard and being passionate about the problem/solution is one of the most important fuels to keep going
Ayush Jangra ✦
@bakemono That's true!! It's so important to find something that you're passionate about, because otherwise it can be really hard to keep going.
Uday Patel
Just keep going. Whatever your good at keep doing.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@uday_patel4 💯 It's not always easy to know what your strengths are, but it's a lot easier than trying to do stuff you aren't good at.
Taiwo Joshua
@uday_patel4 Hello Uday, I'm a frontend developer with 2 years of experience ( React Js) and I have comprehensive experience managing web and interactive communication projects from initial consultation through successful launch. I have a proven ability to handle various projects at the same time and complete them by a given deadline. I use various software and concepts to create creative, innovative, and original package designs for the brand. I have managed front-end projects, delivering innovative concepts, wireframes, low and high fidelity prototypes. I have motivated team performance effectively, which has led to an overturn in achieving set goals and targets in compliance with the vision and mission of the organisation. I excel in every stage of the life cycle of software development, including design creation, coding, debugging, and maintenance. i would love to know if there are openings for a frontend position in your compnay
Kevin Xu
Have fun! If you're not enjoying it, you won't make it far. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@kevinxu3 That's such an important piece of advice! I think people often get so caught up in the idea of starting a business that they forget to make sure they're doing it for the right reasons. It's easy to get caught up in the idea of making money, but these things don't mean much if you're not enjoying what you do on a daily basis. And if you're having fun, that will come through in the work you do. 🚀
Joseph Abraham
Be prepared for the long-haul: Starting a company is a marathon, not a sprint, and requires a lot of hard work and perseverance. Focus on your customers: Understand their needs and pain points, and build your product or service to address them.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@saasfellow I agree with you 💯 Joseph. It's not going to happen overnight. You need to be prepared for a long slog and be willing to put in the work. It can be tempting to try to force your product or service on people, especially in the early days of your business when you're just trying to get things off the ground. But if you want to be successful and keep your customers happy, you have to keep yourself open to what they're telling you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 😊
haha.og
Launch version 1 of your product(s) as soon as possible. I forget who said it first, but I've heard many times that if you're not embarrassed by your version 1 release, you waited too long to ship it.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@batteystreetventures I agree! When I was starting out, I was so afraid of launching something that wasn't perfect. Now I know that if you're waiting to get everything "just right," you'll never get anything out there. It's better to have a product in the market and continue working on it than to never have anything at all.
Valentine Osnovyanenko
Look for quick growth, not the good enough revenue
Ayush Jangra ✦
@osnovyanenko I've been in startups before, and while the amount of money you can make is definitely important, it's also important to look at how fast you're growing. If you aren't growing quickly enough, you'll run out of gas before you really get started!
Aamir Virani
Make sure you understand your users and what they are trying to accomplish. And if you don't have any yet, then write down your hypothesis on who they are and track them down to ask what they are trying to accomplish.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@aamir Get to know your users and their needs, and then build your product around those needs. I've seen a lot of companies fail because they didn't do this, they created something cool and then just thought about how much money they could make off it. That's not enough. People don't buy products; they buy solutions that solve their problems. If your product doesn't solve someone's problem, it won't last long enough for you to make any money off it.
Sewell Stephens
If you going that route, don't be an idiot, And if asking users to fill out a form, only ask what's necessary especially on signup forms. And include OAuth sign in providers too (Google, Github, LinkedIn, etc)
Ayush Jangra ✦
@sewell_stephens You're so right! I hate when SaaS products make me fill out tons of forms just to use their product. It's just unnecessary! Nobody wants to fill out a ton of forms, especially when they're signing up for something. It's always best to keep it simple and only ask for what you need.
Nadim
Patience, persistence, validation with users who does not have a direct connection with you, gather feedback negative or positive and act on it whenever necessary.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@nadimb Gathering feedback from users is important.. very important.. because it's easy to assume that your product is perfect, but it's not always the case! You can't know for sure until you test it out on actual people. And once you've gathered feedback? It's time to act on it! If a user suggests something, take their idea seriously and consider whether or not it makes sense for your product. That's where https://grabee.com/ helps you to collect, manage and prioritize customer feedback in one place.
Nadim
@ayushjangra well said, the real tests occurs as soon as people outside of your network sign-up, and this is where the real drama begins :). Looking forward checking Grabee.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@nadimb This is so true! I knew that, but it's nice to hear it from someone else. Will surely keep you updated on Grabee 😊
Mubeen Masudi
Having started multiple businesses in a conflict zone, I know that starting a business can be especially difficult. But, it's not impossible. Here are my top 5 tips for overcoming the challenges and finding success: Know your market: Understand your target market, competition, and industry trends. It's essential to identify opportunities and create a business plan that's tailored to your target audience. Be adaptive: Starting a business can be unpredictable. Be prepared for obstacles and be open to change. Stay flexible and be ready to pivot your strategy if necessary. Build a network: Building relationships with other entrepreneurs, potential customers, and industry experts is key to success. Networking can help you gain valuable insights, find new customers, and secure funding. Stay organized: Keep track of your progress, expenses, and revenue. This will help you stay on top of your finances and make informed decisions. Believe in yourself: Starting a business takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and self-belief. Believe in yourself and your abilities, and don't let anyone discourage you. Remember, starting a business in a challenging environment is hard, but it's not impossible. Stay resilient and you'll find a way to succeed.
Mubeen Masudi
@technufllc glad you found it relevant. I launched my product here today would be great to get some support from you on that - producthunt.com/posts/getlens
Aphelia T.
@mubeen this is definitely an effective list of tips to follow. Thank you for sharing!
Vishal Patel
When starting a company, it is important to have a clear vision and a well-defined business plan. Research your market and competition, and be prepared to adapt as necessary. Surround yourself with a strong team and make sure to have a solid financial plan in place. It's also essential to maintain a positive attitude and stay persistent, as starting a company can be challenging. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out mentors who can guide you along the way.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@vishal_patel15 Agreed!! Take it one step at a time and not get overwhelmed by the process. Once you start, it's important to keep moving forward and stay focused on your goals. I would also say that it's important to be prepared for the challenges that come along with starting a new business, but don't let them overwhelm you. You'll learn as you go!
Aphelia T.
@vishal_patel15 a strong team is incredibly important! It's best sharing the experience with people you can trust and rely on.
Raju Singh
Wisemen say you can't do everything in your startup: So Delegate. But whatever makes money for your business, be your first hardest-working Employee. Whatever makes money, learn that Art, Master, and then only Delegate!
Ayush Jangra ✦
@imraju I think what you're saying can be summed up in the fact that if you have a vision for your business, you need to know how to execute that vision. As long as you can do that, then delegate everything else!
Raju Singh
@ayushjangra You should know how to execute and should have executed. Skin in the game is so underrated but its most critical while you are early in your startup journey.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@imraju I'm with you. It's important to have a lot of skin in the game..
Aphelia T.
@imraju this is such an amazing piece of advice. Delegating is a skill by itself :)
Chris Horne
Build something *you* would use and you'll always have at least one customer.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@vlchris I love this. I've always believed that the best way to build a business is to create something that you yourself would use, and your advice here is so spot-on. It's also a great reminder to keep things simple: if you can't envision your own use case for the product/service you're building, then chances are there's not enough of an audience for it yet. I'm so glad you're sharing this!
Chris Horne
@ayushjangra Just signed up for your wait list.. I feel like there are a lot of people trying to accomplish what you are doing but still haven't gotten it down. Definitely curious to see what you have put together and if I can use it on my project as well!
Samar Ali
1. Don't give up 2. Believe in yourself 3. Stay focused 4. Surround yourself with positive people 5. Persevere
Ayush Jangra ✦
@samalyx Believe in yourself 💯 👍🏻 because if you don't believe in your own abilities and ideas, it's almost impossible to make them happen.
SpencerZ
The core of the company is its personnel, and we need to find some like-minded friends. And find some people who have experience in this field as a consultant.
Sharath Kuruganty
The most important thing I would say is building momentum through all forms - product, content, community, building in public or whatever fits you. If you don't build momentum, assume your startup is dead by default.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@5harath I agree with you Sharath - momentum is everything. I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about startups, and the common theme seems to be: if you don't have momentum, you're dead. The thing is, though, I think that's only partially true. It's not enough just to have momentum - you have to be building it in the right way! That means focusing on the right things at the right time, and making sure that what you're doing is helping your startup grow in a sustainable way.
Tobias Enholm
Be compassionate. Both to yourself, your co-founder(s) and your team. It's hard to perform if you build up long term stress around performance, stepping outside of yourself and "advice" from a compassionate mindset has helped me a lot.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@tobias_enholm This is really soo true. I think we can all be a little hard on ourselves and each other, especially when we're not getting results. But if you can keep your eye on the prize and remember what's really important, none of us will ever feel like they need to step outside of themselves. Thanks Tobias for sharing this. 🙏
Tobias Enholm
@ayushjangra great topic you brought up, a lot of good advice in here :)
Aju G
The journey of an entrepreneur will be challenging, but if you don't enjoy the process, the end goals will ultimately leave you feeling unsatisfied.
Ayush Jangra ✦
@aju_g_nair I love this! I think it's so important to enjoy the journey, and to focus on the process. Too often people get caught up in the end goal and forget that there are a lot of amazing things along the way.
Aju G
@ayushjangra Had to learn it the hard way!