We launched today - here's everything we learned (including minor details :))

shekhar kapoor
48 replies
So, the launch began with the team huddling up on a zoom call. TBH, we weren't sure how the whole hunting thing works so we just went ahead and submitted the product to later realize our good friend and god-level hunter Kevin was supposed to do that *facepalm* Anyways - Pinged the PH team on Intercom - they responded in under 30 seconds and the whole thing is fine now. Here's our invention - https://www.producthunt.com/post... So, PPC Gear shows Where eCommerce professionals lose money in Google Ads. Find your Low performing campaigns and Quick ways to fix them—in just 30 seconds. We'll keep sharing more on how this is going for us. Super excited!

Replies

shekhar kapoor
Learning 11 - You can't launch and do something else also - clear your launch day completely for just this. Focus purely on bringing engagement here - reply to comments promptly, continue to watch who you're up against and be sure to listen to what the community is telling you throughout the day.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 2 - Keep everything ready for launch day including questions that may come up from the community through the day.
Ruben Wolff
Thanks for sharing your post, how does the hunting part work exactly?
shekhar kapoor
@rubenwolff Hey there, so you'll have to ask your hunter to add the product and you as the maker. You can then go ahead and add other stuff to the listing. We ended up going live without the hunter in the loop.
Zain Ahmed
@gabe__perez What is the benefit of using a hunter vs. self hunting?
Raouf REMIDAN
@gabe__perez @zahmed if the hunter has a lot of followers they all be notified that he hunted a new project so more coverage for you
shekhar kapoor
@gabe__perez @zahmed @raoufremidan Raouf is right and that's actually what the community is built around. But to be honest, if your product is awesome and you trust your own following (even if it is outside of PH) you can go ahead and hunt it yourself too. At the end of the day what is going to matter is what the community thinks about the product and rememver this is a community of product enthusiasts to making a solid pitch keeping them in mind is everything.
Ruben Wolff
@gabe__perez @zahmed @raoufremidan @imshekharkapoor thanks for your replies guys. But when you're self-hunting your product instead of being hunted by a PH hunter, doesn't it reduce your chances to be more seen and to get better results on your launch?
shekhar kapoor
Learning 3 - Comments and upvotes are starting to come in. We're #5 for the day currently. I think it is super important to stay online and respond to comments. We're getting actual early users of the product (with some priceless feedback) and keeping them engage could change the game.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 4 - As the day is progressing, and comments are pouring in - I can see that some products with much less traction end up ranking above you. This is probably because they get more traction in a short span of time and I think this is awesome because that means PH gives everyone the opportunity to be visible. The community has started to take notice of our product - it is truly satisfying to see actual users share their feedback (especially because it is all good feedback :D)
shekhar kapoor
Learning 5 - Overall - Upvotes is not the singular factor that will help you rank. It is a combination of things. We're currently doing well with Upvotes but still rank lower.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 6 - If your product is special for your audience but that audience is a specific kind of persona it may be harder for you to rank. Purely because a lot of people may not relate to your product at all. Products with a widely applicable offering, if pitched/showcased well are super likely to rank higher for this reason.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 7 - Almost everyone who's launching on PH will ask their friends, colleagues etc. to come and check the product out (maybe also ask them for an upvote) but once that's done - it all rests on what the community thinks about what you have. The thing is - this also tells you a lot about the community so if you're a serial founder/maker/creator - you know what kind of product you can leverage PH for.
shekhar kapoor
Thought - we're getting more organic traction but I'm unsure why some products with lower overall traction are above us. I'm guessing the algo also looks at the maker and their experience? I'll probably have an answer by the end of this.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 8 - Launch a product here just for the feedback maybe? - we got a few that really made us think.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 9 - As people continue to discover your tool keep an eye on your product's performance. You may have pressure tested it but you never know what kind of volumes PH can send your way.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 10 - Keep yourself relatable - your goal should be to help the community understand why your product could add value even if it is not for them. Yes, you want sign ups but to truly be visible you have to stay on the top and to make that happen you've got to be able to appeal to a large audience and having a mass appeal product is not the only way to do that. You can also achieve that by being relatable, showcasing a demo and just helping everyone understand what you're all about.
David J. Kim
@imshekharkapoor This I think is one of the most important learnings! Even if your product is for a specialized audience you can still make the average person understand why it's useful and that can help drive up engagement/upvotes!
shekhar kapoor
@between_team Absolutely - which is why we decided to do a simple demo video as opposed to hiring a video agency/professional to get something fancy done. I just felt it is more human and honest which are both things that I think I am :D
Siddhesh Lokare
This is so helpful. All of these learnings literally sum up the optimum launch strategy one needs to know. Cheers to the team!
Ani Buendía
Really love all this! I'm launching tomorrow and I really appreciate reading this post.
Manish Rawat
Congrats on the launch and thanks for the info.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 12 - The promptness with which you respond to comments may not be a big factor but it is best that you do that. Interacting with the makers directly is a key part of the PH experience and you must make that happen.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 13 - we're currently #4 for the day with 45 minutes to go. The product that was trailing us is now number 1 and I am starting to think if you're also going to spend your day doing this don't care about what these rankings mean and how they change through the day. The rankings/placements on the page continue to change as engagements happen. Focus purely on driving engagement and the rest will follow.
shekhar kapoor
Learning 14 - I think I know what's happening here. DO NOT forget that Product Hunt is a COMMUNITY and the community rewards you for engagement and not upvotes you can get from people who are not from the community. So work on engagement - start a discussion, reply to comments, follow people and tweet to them on launch day or before that, If you have a question - ask the PH team on intercom and they'll be happy to help. We're 30 minutes away from the end of the day and this just got thrilling with us ranking #4 from the #7 that we were on. We were also #3 for some time but as I mentioned that should not be your focus. Focus on the COMMUNITY - add value and I promise that it'll reward you back.
Hugo Santana 'Kaloh'
Thanks for sharing @imshekharkapoor ! We are launching a product soon, would you recommend us to find a hunter?
shekhar kapoor
@hugo_santana yes I would. I think it’ll allow you to leverage your hunter’s follower network and drive more engagement.
Mayank Mishra
quite helpful and helps me to prepare for our launch soon for Poppins :)