Video on...or off in virtual meetings?

Rachel Cossar
25 replies
Big debate waging right now as employers and employees figure out what the future of work looks like. So...what do you think?

Replies

Brandon Hull
Video on for me. But it's not for everyone, and I notice the larger the group, the more comfortable people feel leaving video off. Group/meeting dynamics...
Rachel Cossar
@brandonhull Right - that's part of what needs to be more thought out - does this even need to be a video call? Does everyone need to be on this call? Can it be asynchronous? Video calls are super effective for smaller groups and meetings that need to be more dynamic and engaging. Larger video meetings can be done, but must be super engaging! A lot falls on the facilitator.
Daniel Engels
Video on! Come on, it costs nothing to you and it makes the whole experience more engaging for everyone. Make an effort!
Rachel Cossar
@daniel_engels :) Love to hear this. Although it may not be the most popular opinion these days, I agree that having your video on in a video meeting is super helpful. You get a much richer conversation and have a better idea of where people are really at in terms of what they think and feel about something. And even better than just being on video, showing up and really being present:) All this said, not every meeting needs to be on video - but that's an entirely different topic:)
Daniel Engels
@rachelonpointe I'm also a fan of asynchronous meetings for all the occasions when presence is unnecessary.
Definitely on - don't know why people bother joining them without the video on.
Rachel Cossar
@maxwellcdavis One of the most awkward things is joining a video meeting (as in, the organizer sent a video meeting link, not a phone number) and then they are not on vide. Super weird move. In group calls where people are listening in, make that clear right from the get go. It's unsettling to have lurkers on the video call if they haven't shared why they aren't on video.
Sean Song
There are cases we have to cut video to save bandwidth for voice.
Rachel Cossar
@seansong Yes, this is true and be helpful with bandwidth issues. If this is really the case, one can do a phone call too:) There are also ways to screenshare with audio-only (like on Slack huddles for example). So no one needs to worry about video in this case and you can get a better connection. The more intentionally we connect, the better off everyone is. And we have so many options, communication and meeting strategy is a big topic for companies both large and small.
Anna Mandziuk πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
For quick meetings, where I need to clarify or show something (buts it's too long or complicated to write), I prefer Slack's huddle (without video). It's very convenient and gets the job done fast. However, for longer meetings with discussions, I lean towards turning on the camera
Rachel Cossar
@anna_mandziuk I love Slack huddle - just mentioned in another comment above. And sounds like you are ahead of the norm with selecting different channels for different types of conversations. Not all meetings have to be video. But if video will enhance the conversation and relationship - let's get those videos on, and give people the skills they need to do so comfortably and confidently. (That's what we do at Virtual Sapiens, www.virtualsapiens.co) Thanks for your reply!
Sergio Zaciu
I expect a good excuse if your video is off.
Rachel Cossar
@szaciu Always helpful to know why the video is turned off in a video meeting. Either the organizer makes it really clear video is optional, or the person not on video should specify if it's bandwidth related or other. Otherwise people will be wondering the entire call.
Paul VanZandt
I'm video on for all meetings involving new people or requiring a good impression. If it's just me and my dev team, cam off feels more comfortable. It really depends on the goal of the meeting and who's involved.
Rachel Cossar
@paul_vanzandt Makes total sense - it's helpful to see who you are talking to and to use every tool at your disposal during early conversations with new employees, team members and clients. It's such a convenient way to make that human connection right from the get go, and to help differentiate from another conversation, especially in our virtual world.
Paul VanZandt
@rachelonpointe I completely agree. Especially as you are establishing connections within your workplace it's important to see each other and really interact.
Gurpinder Singh
Video on, every time! You must engage with others, and its a good gesture.
Launching soon!
Our company uses software that allows a live team wall, where the video is not always on, but a headshot is taken at regular intervals. And you can also make video calls with a single click. I believe it is better than having an always on video call.
Rachel Cossar
@qudsia_ali wow...I've never heard of this tech - what is it called?
Launching soon!
@rachelonpointe Connect - You can find more information about this here. https://www.workhub.ai/products/...
Rachel Cossar
@qudsia_ali So does it let you know when it will take a picture? Or it just randomly takes a shot?
Alexander Eser
@rachelonpointe , we are actually developing a solution to have more productive 1:1s and team meetings. Please check zipdo.co - We are launching our MVP soon and if you want to be one of the first users to try it out, please contact me at ajeser[at]zipdo.co or join our waitlist.