Twitter posts from celebrities is the only way to boost your startup in 2021?

Tasos Valtinos
16 replies
Hi All! This is something I have noticed recently. Feels like this is the only way to skyrocket a startup. Find a celebrity person to make a post for your product and boom that's it! Do you agree? Does that make it too hard for everyone else to grow? What if we don't have any celebrity connections? Which i think like 80%+ will fall under that category :P

Replies

Begüm Bayram
I actually believe microinfluencer boost more
Tasos Valtinos
@begum_bayram U mean finding targeted influencers? To promote your product
Begüm Bayram
@tasos_valtinos It covers both less follower target oriented accounts and totally normal (not influencer) people recomending their friends-network. I am actually trying this right now if it works I will let you know!
Shiva Prabhakaran
I don't think it is even remotely that case. Where are you seeing this?
Tasos Valtinos
@killshiva @nilova_pande Nice lets see how they did it. Cause all I hear is Elon Musk did the job with an invite :P Which ofc would not happen if the product was not great. Im not saying anything about the product itself ofcourse
Jack Davis
I actually think it is the inverse. I think this is partly because every single celebrity / influencer is pushing products down peoples throats everywhere you look. With such a crowded market it is hard to stand out. Look at Quibi, they raised 1.8 billion dollars and were backed by many of the worlds most powerful companies and some of the richest people and it still failed. If Jeffrey Katzenberg, Meg Whitman, Carlos Slim, Madrone Capital Partners, WndrCo, Alibaba, Greenspring Associates, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Future Fund, Google, Pegasus Tech Ventures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, The Walt Disney Company, Time Warner and Warner Bros can not make a company take off then no celebrity can. At the end of the day it is all about did you build something users actually want.
Tasos Valtinos
@jack_davis7 Thanks for the reply Jack! To be honest, i completely agree with you. But im referring to skyrocketing your user base fast. Not necessarily last as a company. The issue in early days is growing fast and iterating based on users feedback. For example ClubHouse. Got a huge boost after a few posts.
George Boutsalis
@jack_davis7 @tasos_valtinos Love the question and discussion here guys. I am presently building a social networking platform, that is quite opposite to what Clubhouse is. While it would be cool and gratifying to be a viral sensation overnight and hit a boom in user growth, that sort of exponential growth can also be an issue for your company and product development. Clubhouse had all this hype due to the ability to organically find cool conversation and stumble upon a celebrity in a room taking to everyday people. The problem with the celebrity appeal is these celebrities, whether it be actors, musicians, CEOs, founders, etc all have more important things to do on a daily basis that to sit in rooms and converse with fans. Once the appeal and value for them fades and they don't have a desire to jump into this app then what is the value proposition to the existing user base? It creates a sort of negative feedback loop. This may also explain why Clubhouses' downloads are down 70% month-over-month... Just my opinion though there may be other reasons as to why their downloads are down.
Tasos Valtinos
@jack_davis7 @boutsalis Thats a very interesting point, and that is why I think the app will fade away eventually. Creating hype is great but lets not forget that people now are quarantined or on lockdown, which makes it easier to speak and sit all day in a chatroom. WHat happens when everything is back to normal? When you dont have time to speak inside a room? But lets see :)
Nursena İşler
I don't think that exactly, I think anything that smells like advertising sounds a little more artificial to people. There is now more interest in the natural. In this case, I think one of the most important ways to announce your startup to a wide range of people is that your loving users recommend and praise you without waiting for any response.
Hande Yılmaz
It's very important but not only way. Writing as a community is definitely more effective.
Tasos Valtinos
@handeeyilmazz Hey Hande! What do you mean writing as a community?
Hande Yılmaz
@tasos_valtinos I think it would make a bigger sound to do it with a community instead of sharing it through just one person.