The SEO Strategy that led Canva to a $40 Billion Valuation

Jaume Ros
24 replies
Canva's SEO strategy is world-class. There's a lot to learn from how they've built their website with an SEO-first perspective. The most important thing is how they build separate landing pages, targetting not only different keywords but more importantly different USER INTENTS! That's the name of the game and Canva has done it to perfection. Here's my latest video where I cover this in depth:
Let me know what you guys think of this strategy, and if you're doing anything like them!

Replies

Paul Mit
Thanks for sharing this, Jaume!
Atul Ghorpade
Will definitely watch it.
Sarah Jordi
Thanks for sharing, that was really interesting to watch for someone who's completely overwhelmed by all things SEO 😅 I do feel like this strategy only makes sense if you have a business or service that people actually search for, no? As in, something people already know exists (even if they don't know of your specific company). So when you're in a completely new, emerging industry, then investing in that probably doesn't help so much, as search traffic for it is rather low. Or am I completely wrong here?
Jaume Ros
@sarahxjo Hey Sarah! I really appreciate the support. Its hard to answer your question without knowing the industry! But i'd like to say it depends. The reality is that most likely there won't be as much traffic for those keywords that are directly targetting your industry. But there are definitely industries that are very closely related that could be also targetted to guide the traffic from there to your new industry. Let me give you an example: I'm currently building conto.ai - basically an AI solution for copywriting. Obviously the AI copywriting sphere online is quite small and definitely emerging! But the copywriting/content industry is huge, and theres going to be a lot of keywords there that I can target and come up as a helpful, and different, solution! Does that make sense? Let me know!
Sara Gifford
Thanks for sharing this. Amazing overview of various strategies that we can take. I wonder if there is a top suggestion for folks that are starting and what the 1st thing we should do is?
Jaume Ros
@sara_gifford Hey Sara, thanks for the support! Well it depends a lot on which step you're on! Creating content is always #1. Whether thats on landing pages, or your blog (you'll know better than me) If you want to send you're website over i'd love to give you some suggestions!
Sara Gifford
@jaume_ros2 I've just binged watched a ton of your YouTube videos - thank you for this great content! Our challenge is that we have activote.net which is our "corporate" website with blogs & team & features, but then myActiVote.com is our app that we want people to use. So from your video what I "feel" my next step needs to be is to create landing pages on activote.net for why we think people will search & want to use our app, create those landing pages to send folks to myActiVote.com. What do you think?
Jaume Ros
@sara_gifford Okay!! Just had a look at both sites. I would use activote.net as the content hub. So start creating landing pages + blog posts for keywords that have traffic potential and then guide people in whichever direction you'd like. Goodluck!!
Sara Gifford
@jaume_ros2 Thanks Jaume. I sent your YouTube channel to a few others in my network and its been a big hit.
Thanks for sharing - very insightful!
Misha Krunic
Great stuff, Jaume!
Alina Ihnatiuk
Thank you very much for the information!
Ira GI
Thanks for sharing!
Lisa Murphy
Wow, super information. I was reading about pinerest then. And I have read your post it is very good post. Very nice post, thanks for sharing this information.
Jan Beisheim
Hi Jaume, awesome stuff, exactly what we need! We are launching an Canva alternative on PH this week Thursday. It's called Kittl and can be found in the upcoming section. SEO is the next thing we need to target. If you have any suggestions it'd be great to exchange ideas.