The old as time debate: how do you save content for later?

Cristina Bunea
20 replies
There are so many tools out there, but what have you found to work best? And by that I mean, what actually gets you to consume the content or minimize the clutter? Is it actually a problem? Do you actually think you'll get to it at some point or is it more about having peace of mind that you don't lose what you're saving?

Replies

Wiktoria Jaszcza
The only thing that works for me so far is youtube watch later. Articles do not have their place :)
Paul Razvan Berg
- Pocket - Todoist (Pro) - Notion (specifically their databases) - YouTube (Watch Later)
Ryan Gilbert
I have always been terrible at this! I used to always have 100 (ok maybe not that many!) tabs open at all times and would randomly pick one to read when I had downtime... not the best approach 😅 A few months ago I started playing around with a tool called Heyday (launched yesterday) from @samdebrule and @samiur1204 that is essentially a Chrome extension built to resurface content you've previously seen/researched when you need it most. This has allowed me to close the tabs and take a more hands-off approach which I have preferred over trying to manage bookmarks or other read-it-later options.
Sam DeBrule
@samiur1204 @ryangilbert Thanks Ryan!! I'm obviously super biased (as the founder), but Heyday shines in the "actually gets you to consume the content" area @cristinaibunea. The secret is that it layers on top of your existing workflow, so you don't have to remember to go back and consume the content. It's just there: 1. Search Google > Heyday resurfaces relevant past research to save you time. 2. Browse the internet > Heyday's AI curates a knowledge base for you on topics it detects you care about. 3. Read articles > Heyday overlays it with context.
Badr El Anouar
I really enjoy my raindrop extension. Hands down the best tool out there.
Michael Silber
It depends... - Pocket 7.0 is my go-to for long form reading that I want to do later - OneTab is how I save browser tabs I want to revisit or I just don't have time to deal with that day - Evernote 8.0 - January 2017 is for recipes, but I don't love it. I have been too lazy to migrate to a better tool
Tim Carambat
Honestly, I always try to not rely on other applications and extensions - so typically I just bookmark it! Then I forget about it and re-discover it many months later like a little content present!
Laura Mesa
This is such a tough nut to crack - I've tried a few options, but each have their issues: Google Keep: I'll save links here and put reminders to read stuff, especially interesting articles about things in my field. It's easy to find for the most part, and very mobile friendly. Asana: If its work related I'll do a task - this is the most fool proof, but not for non-work stuff. Browser tabs within a special browser window: I have a window I leave open all day with interesting things I want to read, and try and clear it out each evening. It can be very distracting though, or worse case, ends up with hundreds of tabs in a week, killing my laptop.
Alex Shebar
Oh I'm so awful at this. Honestly, I usually just create a Google Doc with a specific project (or concept like: To Read Later) and put everything into that. Then at least I know it's all in one easily-found place.
John
I used to have 1000+ bookmarked on my browser but found that I can not locate the ones I am interested in. So I created a to-do list app and e-notes app with categories and a searchable database with the URL of the content I was reading. The to-do list app, to keep on reminding me about the content. The e-notes app, to have some summary notes and the URL of the content. Both apps helped me continue enjoying the content at a later time and for all time, as reference. I will be launching these apps soon in ProductHunt.
Ivan Ralic
Launching soon!
If you are asking for a research phase of content production process, we are currently developing http://collabwriting.com which will be a tool exactly for that 😄 For personal use I would strongly suggest a book "How to take smart notes" by Sönke Ahrens The problem with research and note taking is often not the problem with a tool but the problem with organization of thoughts. This book solves the core problem. Then you can implement stuff from the book with Workflowly, Notion or plain old pen and paper 😄
Philipp Stelzel
On Youtube I save for later, articles I save with Instapaper.
Dawn Veltri
Very inefficiently. I have Google Docs labeled with a topic where I save links relating to that topic. It is the only thing I have found that works for me.
Emmanuel Lefort
Weavit! Eating my own cooking :)
Sean Song
1. I use Obsidian to take notes. 2. Important URL for reading later I just Email myself. (so old school)
Adnyesh Dalpati
Use Diigo - Highly recommend The best tool i have seen, whatever you read on web can be highlighted, bookmarked, commented. This can be used for future reference, you can search and whoaa you find what you have done before. https://chrome.google.com/websto...
Quinn Nguyen
This is also a very frustrating issue for me. I usually open more than 30 tabs in my browser and afraid to close them because I think I can get through them all in one day. I never quite did it though. Couple years ago I used to have a folder on Google Drive where I kept all the links and online materials that I want to get back to -- and to be honest, after a while it was quite a mess. Now I'm using Google Keep to store all those links. If I think there's something very interesting or relevant to my current tasks, I'd pin it on Keep so that it stays up on the top of the tool.