The "Mantra" thing 🤔

Benoit Chambon
19 replies
I am often guilty of setting far-off, lofty goals that prevent me from focusing on short-term execution and the present moment 😔 One of my friends advised me to do an exercise: "every morning, write down your mantra for the day", this little phrase to repeat to yourself several times a day and which refocuses you on what you must accomplish. 💪 Ok but, write a mantra... It's super hard! And I tend to think of a mantra related to my work, and not on other subjects (which are just as important as work!). And you, PH family, do you write daily mantras? 😺

Replies

Iren
Hey! I don't write down a mantra, but sometimes I formulate it in my head and say it throughout the day, focusing on the content. It's probably like meditation. Usually this is something non-specific, associated with a positive mood. For example, I remind myself that hard times make me stronger.
Benoit Chambon
@iren_bioinformatician I'm thinking of trying meditation. Is it truly efficient? How often do I have to practice to make it efficient? :)
Iren
@benoit_chambon Meditations are really useful :) They are often used in psychotherapeutic practices to reduce anxiety and increase awareness. By the way, there are studies of the brain of regularly meditating Tibetan monks - scientists used MRI and encephalography methods. It turned out that in some parts of the brain the gray matter was denser (as far as I remember) and the activity was higher compared to the control group. This is associated with regular meditation. As for the frequency of meditation, I think it all depends on the amount of free time you have. You can try starting with 15 minutes a day)
Monia Ben Bedir
om namah shivaya
Jaskiran Kaur
I never thought of having a Mantra but as you have that it helps in refocusing and accomplishing, I will definitely start writing down my mantra from now 😊
Rachel Levitz
Great discussion! I wouldn't call it a mantra per say - but I definitely set my intentions for the day and distinguish what kind of day it will be, could be an intense and focused "get things done" day, or a relaxed day to kick back and go surfing!
Janinah
@rachel_levitz @benoit_chambon same! One day I might be focusing on research another day branding or design. Or someday if I've done a lot for the week already I may decide to have fun e.g writing, gaming, or reading
Rachel Levitz
@benoit_chambon @janinah absolutely! One of the great pros of hybrid work. For me this was a great opportunity to work on my life/work balance
John Stewart
I don't write one daily but there is a go to Mantra I use. It's a more broad mindset thing it's called Ho'oponopono. And goes 'I'm sorry, forgive me, I love you, Thank you'. Sounds a bit strange, but read into it, it's quite interesting!
Benoit Chambon
@john_stewarttgm Interesting. It supposes a lot of reflexion to understand it deeply I guess. Will try it ;) Many thanks
Mahak from Outgrow
I don't write a daily mantra kind of thing. We never know what will happen the next minute. I always decide things the night before that I want to do tomorrow. But the point is that if things happen out of my hand or feel anxious at any moment, I just leave things that I do and take breaks. Like not forming my day according to one daily mantra but changing it any time in the day. Most important is to live this moment happily and for everyone things are set differently. for me, it's just wake up and do things. I leave everything on the day and my mood.
Benoit Chambon
@mahak I don't think a mantra is made to drive "everything you do" in a day. Just focusing on the present day (but I'm not perfectly aware of that process I must admit - this is why I posted this discussion lol)
Mahak from Outgrow
@benoit_chambon yup may be you are right. But still it's difficult for me to follow one particular emotion for even one day.
Shitiz Dogra
Mantra is essence refers to how will you approach your day today. E.g. I will be a better listener than I was yesterday. Or today I will spend extra time going deeper into my work. Mantra should not be a globe statement that sounds vague and unattainable. it should be something that you can implement, quantify or at least measure by your own set yardstick of performance.