Swiping right on a Co-Founder.

Daniel Rongo
3 replies
For those who had to actively scout for a co-founder. I have met a few potential CTO / Co-Founders for one of my most promising projects, PH of the Day, with a functional MVP and a fairly large (and to some extent prestigious) early adopter user base. But for a reason or for another, we didn't click. Sometimes it's about the tech stack, some other it's about the complexity of the project or about the commitment / non-aligned visions. I tend to scout on Reddit but, honestly, I feel it's a lottery there. I have tried IndieHackers, with much better results but, still, I haven't swiped right yet. Maybe I'm picky, as I look for entrepreneurial flair, down to earth / no ego attitude, tech expertise and vertical background. If that's not enough, I have been looking for someone I can be friend with and have a laugh together - I'm aware this might be wrong, as we're supposed to established a business relationship before than a friendship. But I also want to enjoy the journey. Basically, I tend to go for the "jackpot". So, I'm wondering, how did you guys meet your sweet half? What selection criteria did you set?

Replies

sulyman moyo
REPRENEUR has a tool that help with finding you a co-founder. Just simply put in your info. Let me know your mail so we can give you some special attention to ensure you get someone that fits the description you wrote above
Kanan Tandi
Well for me, there were couple of things first one being strong friends. For me to enter into professional relationship certain things matter a lot like competence, ethics, morality and empathy. Luckily, I found all of these qualities in my business partner, as we are very good friends. But then, not all good friends can make good business partners and vice versa. This is purely my opinion that those 4 qualities (mentioned above)need to be there to take it forward.
Stephane Ibos
We found each other at Uni. Friendship first. Then colleagues in the same company. Then co-founders. It's been 13 years all in all, and getting better by the day. In the end, I believe it comes down to mutual trust and respect, lots of tolerance and understanding, and a capacity to laugh it off when pressure builds up. I think you're right trying to go for "the jackpot", even if it takes lots of time and effort. A co-founder is the most important thing in a venture, especially in the early days. Getting it wrong can kill your business in no time. Good luck!