Staying focused and taking breaks

Adraina Agyei
7 replies
What are your best practices to staying focused and taking a break during a remote workday?

Replies

Elena Cirera
The best thing to stay focused on is to isolate yourself from your home environment. Short breaks should be taken after completing some specific tasks.
Graeme O’Connor
I like using the pomodoro technique of 25mins work sessions followed by 5min breaks, where I make sure I get up from my desk and stretch my legs a bit! For deep work sessions I usually do longer (1h-1h30)
Matthew Johnson
I used Pomodoro for this, but found 25/5 was too short. I'd often be getting into the zone and then the time would go off. Then when the break ended I wasn't ready to start again. I switched to 52/17 and that works a lot better for me. I discovered this ratio because apparently those are the intervals the most productive people happen to work, and it really works well for me. More recently I have been doing time blocking, and I find that I need less small breaks throughout the day with that method, and instead just budget in longer breaks where I can get some exercise or have lunch away from my desk.
Elena Cirera
The best thing to stay focused on is to isolate yourself from your home environment. Short breaks should be taken after completing some specific tasks
Wiktoria Jaszcza
Task list in front of me, phone on the side, away from the fridge. Breaks after longer tasks.
Srishty Chaudhary
Usually I prefer taking a walk or listening to music in break. It refreshes my mind and boosts me to re-start my work.