Should there be a proper age limit for social media usage?

Awais Rasool
19 replies

Replies

Kazimieras Melaika
Definitely. Young children have much more to do in their lives despite being on the computer and sitting on social media! Starting it too young can possibly bring much more harm. Btw, we’re launching in the mid of June. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed habits, health, symptoms, and meds tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Jennifer Laura
As you're probably aware, all of the most popular social media platforms have the same age restriction: 13 and up.
Daniel Engels
I wouldn't like 13 year olds spend their days on Instagram. Social media might create a very distorted vision of the world.
Ezzat Suhaime
It depends on the child, and it should probably be the guardians’ responsibility to decide.
Patrick
I don't think that can be easily enforced, if kids want on bad enough they will. A kids account would be an interesting idea perhaps - one with enhanced AI monitoring and parental controls, mirror messages and notifications to parents, perhaps disable photo comments etc
Paul VanZandt
I think curated content for specific ages would be ideal - restricting it entirely would be near impossible today.
Nathan Luke
It is much more necessary. Social media is taking away the real childhood from today's children.
Adriel Cruz
Yes, I think there should be a proper age limit for social media cause some minors learn different stuff that has negative impact.
Ivan Ralic
Launching soon!
Dopamine overdosing by massive social media consumption is a problem that causes more harm than any other substances right now (ADHD, Depression etc.) In 10 years we will look at social media and other dopamine intensive apps the same way we are currently looking at tobacco. China already has this under control, and I believe every other country will ban these kinds of apps for children in the future.
Peter agar
Social media is a great source of knowledge yet harmful if misused. Keeping an eye on your children is a must thing to do.
100%. Social media has such a negative impact on kids (and adults!). Also, a lot of kids aren't aware of their digital footprint and that whatever you post will be there forever. At the bare minimum, parents should monitor their kids' social media activity.