Should I quit?

Nithur
17 replies
I launched my product one and a half months ago. No one seems to care. But, I still have a nagging feeling that people want this product. When I post it on Twitter hashtags, FB groups, and Sub-reddits, no one cares. Should I quit and go back to a 9-to-5? or should I persevere?

Replies

David J. Kim
Just because your initial launch didn't go well doesn't mean you have *nothing*. Good products are made from lots of feedback loops. Strongly suggest watching this:
Nithur
@between_team That's a great video. Watched right away. Thank you so much David. Miles to go. Let's see.
Benoit Chambon
1,5 month is not a good sample to know your product-market fit (users need). PERSEVERE! (Btw, I guess you should change the way you send messages. If no one answer and/or give a wrong answer, well... There's no wrong answers, just wrong questions). "Courage!" (like we say in French)
Nithur
@benoit_chambon "There's no wrong answers, just wrong questions" nice anecdote there. Thank you Benoit.
Solomon Bush
It looks like you had a lot of upvotes on launch. But you're product is targeting a niche audience. It seems like if you had a good ad-campaign you could target authors and writers. Have you looked into seed funding to get some ad money?
Nithur
@solomon_bush Thank you so much Solomon for taking your time to give some insights. I'm starting from complete 0. I have no friends in the entrepreneurial circle. I have 0 funding. I have 0 experience. So, running an ad-campaign is somewhat impossible task now. As for the seed funding part, do you have any experience with it? where can I look for it?
Solomon Bush
@nithur Of course that's what these discussion forums are for - so that creators like us can help each other out! But, I am in the same boat that you are. But I am just building Log Harvestor part time while still working full time at a big tech company. I have done a little research about funding. Here is a YouTuber that I follow: Dan Martell. He has a good video about different types of funding. But I think that you can look up seed funds via CrunchBase or just Google it. :) If you find anything out please let me know. I am going to be looking for seed funding in the next 6-8 months.
Nithur
@solomon_bush Great video Solomon. Thank you for this. I will check crunchBase. And will let you know. Thank you for taking your time. All the best for your business too.
Solomon Bush
@nithur Thanks man! I appreciate it! If I find any leads on my end too I will let you know. :)
Maybe try and reach out to a few influencers that are writing currently - especially those that are writing in public.
Nithur
@maxwellcdavis Yes Maxwell, I'm trying that too. Thank you so much.
Fion McCormack
Ok, so the problem is that it's just not clear. So you need to make it clear why this product will improve my life. And you need to make this clear in less than 5 seconds. Otherwise I the customer lose interest. After looking at this for 5 seconds I learned that it helps me track word count. But I also know I have Microsoft Office which allows me to track word count so for me I don't think I would need another word count tracking solution, unless yours is different? If yours is different somehow, then this difference is not yet clear. Think about the pain of the customer. What does he Want to do AND why does he Want to do it AND what is blocking him. Then make sure the first thing I read about this product is: That problem does it solve Who it solved the problem for Why solving this problem is worth my money For example What Customer Might Want: To Write create a successful blog Why Customer Might Want That: Because he dreams of having an online business What is the Problem: My content production rate is too slow because I get distracted What is the solution? A software that....
Nithur
@fion_mccormack Eye-opening insights Fion. Will make the changes. Thank you for taking your time to give the feedback. All the best.
Nithur
@fion_mccormack Also, this app is not a word count tracker. It's a writing habit tracker focused on online writers. Will make the changes to clarify them. Thank you.
Bertha Kgokong
@nithur Definitely never ever quit, what I learned is that there is a market for every product - you just have to find it. I would suggest: (1) Work on a landing page for your product, I saw a google chrome extension. Was not sure if I just missed the landing page. A page explaining in detail what your product does, some testimonials, and then work on getting good Google rankings for your landing page. so that people who are actually looking, searching for your product can find you. (2) If the product is not a hit, pivot it. These days AI powered writing assistants are getting a lot of good attention. Consider pivoting in that direction (3) List your product everywhere Try everything, but definitely do not give up.