Share your best tips to limit your browser tabs

Mayank Mishra
35 replies
I always have 100s of browser tabs opened, often many tabs just for the same website. I have tried to stay in control but have failed to do so! 🤪 I would love to hear the tips from the best web surfers out there. Maybe it makes my life easy and others find it helpful too. Thanks in advance! ❤️

Replies

Sofya Narbut
If a tab is up for a week I don't need it anymore, simple as that. My macbook air has a way of letting me now it had ENOUGH. :,,,)
Use a different device that I haven't opened lots of tabs on....
Alina Ihnatiuk
Hey! Perhaps in these articles you will find something useful for yourself :)) https://zapier.com/blog/chrome-f... https://www.wired.com/story/how-...
Archisman Das
As primitive as it looks, I keep closing tabs every few hours 😬
Nik Hazell
I'd love something that closes duplicate tabs - but so far, I don't trust the free tools I've found not to shut important things without telling me! 😂
Anil Meena
@nik_hazell I was just thinking about it yesterday, sometime there are duplicate tabs, if only system informs us that you already have that tab opened 😆
Lucas
install some chrome extension for tab management
Mayank Mishra
@andymaker156 yes, good idea, which one do you use, if you do?
Judy Chen
Using different windows for different categories (ie. work project 1, project 2, leisure, social, etc.) then when I'm done with one task or category, I can close the entire window
Anil Meena
Just be mindful about the thing you are working on and just keep those tabs. Mostly I've noticed I end up opening too many tabs when I am browsing (not working), but when I am working I am at max using 2 or 3 tabs for that work. (or you'll open more to check something or take ref etc) Of course, there are few tabs which would always want in front of you for that I usually pin them all to send it different desktop. It's easier to switch between desktops imo
James Abayomi Ojo
I'll be lying if I do, however I did hear about this cool tool called Control Space which keeps everything tidy and has search capabilities.
Devanand Premkumar
Wow, 100 tabs on a browser would make me go mad. My mind is not wired to handle 100 tabs at all and hence it is serving as my first line of defense for this issue at hand 😊
Kiran Kanakadandi (yugahq.com)
xTab -- prevents opening Nth tab -- N configurable. (Post feels deja vu somehow :)
Senin
When I get too many tabs, I bring the ones I'm visiting the most to the left and close all to the right from there.
Kartikay Sharma
Can try products like Toby and can create a section tab. Sorted!
Ramu Patil
I would apply discipline and be mindful about what I'm doing currently and what I need to focus on. For example, If I'm moving away from a tab, it could mean that I'm not going to attend it now. In this case, either I would close it or I will put it in 'Later' category by bookmarking it. I wouldn't suggest a tool as such, because that will too need discipline :) unless it does read your mind and does what a human supposed to do ;)
Martina Hackbartt
Hi Mayank! I mainly use chrome and there is an option to add tabs to a group. So I usually group my tabs into a few categories and only disclose the one I'm using at the moment.
Haq
I feel your pain. I think it's just simply a bad habit and i'm guilty of this. However, I think the latest version of Safari does a good job of managing tab groups. I prefer the UX on Safari more and I think it helped me get better organized. I was using chrome before.
Galia Ben David
I try to make time every Friday to close all of my browser tabs- I let myself go crazy through the week but I make sure to give myself a clean slate for the week ahead :)
Anett Keresztes
Personally, I prefer to close all the unnecessary tabs after I have found the information. I freak out if I have more than 10 tabs open. 😬 Also, I have realized, that it has a negative psychological effect on me. I jump from one tab to another(outside of my current work process) and lose my flow. Try to close all windows after you used them, or open them in a new tab, so it will not give you confusion.