MVP Ready, Things to keep in mind while drafting a GTM strategy for a B2B SaaS Product?

Rachit Nigam
6 replies
Hey Community members, Hope you all are safe and doing well. I need some help in understanding the key aspects to keep in mind while working on a GTM strategy from a Product Manager's perspective. Specially in the case of a B2B SaaS Product. Feel free to share any relevant online material supporting my question, personal experiences, etc. Thanks in advance. At what stage an early-stage startup should start working on a GTM strategy?

Replies

Prateek Mathur
Just start talking to users immediately, Infact I'd go a step forward in saying that you should start chatting with users pre-MVP. You can create whatever GTM plan and strategy you want, its your users and paying customers that will decide where you go.
Rachit Nigam
@prateek_mathur Yes ideally the user needs should be gathered first before building an MVP. I referred to some specific situation where an MVP is already built based on just an idea/hypothesis but no real efforts were carried out to validate that idea/hypothesis beforehand by interacting with target users.
Rachit Nigam
@prateek_mathur Thanks for your response. It's true, whatever GTM strategy we make ultimately its users and paying customers who will drive the business but sometimes it is slightly difficult to talk to users before allowing them to see the value of the product by themselves.
Prateek Mathur
@rachit_nigam Why is it difficult to talk to users? Why not build the product based on the value that the users need
Artem Smirnov
As early as possible. In an ideal world, you choose your target audience even before you have an idea, because you move in this sequence: audience -> problem -> your solution -> product. And knowing your audience includes knowing how/where you can reach them. It's not a strategy maybe, but it should be a clear idea -- cold calls, TV ads, PH launch, etc. Many successful startups start with a problem, then it's more complicated, since they have to validate that this is a problem for enough people, so they need to find an audience for this problem. So, the later you start thinking about your audience, the more complicated the process is. If you already have your MVP, it might work for you but not for your target audience because they might use some established processes that your solution doesn't fit into.
Rachit Nigam
@artem_smirnov Thanks for your response, this is helpful. Sometimes it happens that startups pivot at some point in time but it's always healthy to know your audience first, this gives a better understanding of the problem and then creates a solution.