MVP or Fully Fledged PH Launch?

Rich Taylor
24 replies
What is your experience launching your own products? What does the community want? I'm hearing both sides of the argument...

Replies

Camille Landau
I'm a believer in launching early and often; the PH community spirit is strong on feedback -- why not get real thoughts when you need them?
Brent Alvord
I've wondered this too. Many products seem fairly well-baked, but I'm considering launching an MVP on PH and have the same question. For me, it's planned as a "gift" to the community of leaders. While the product is pretty good, we think the community here could use it (for free) and give us valuable feedback. I'm not sure PH works well for that though. I *don't* see a lot of hate trolls on here, but I still don't want it to flop. So I'm hoping if I present it in the spirit I explained above, we can find our fans. ???
Rich Taylor
@brent_alvord I think FREE is good if it is linked to your primary product. If it IS your product (my case), I want to charge something. 1. because I need to get paid for my time to manage it and 2. because my project is a community and I need to filter time wasters. I'm a no-code builder so the difference between MVP and full product is only a month or two but that's still time I can use for something else if I start with an MVP and no one likes the idea! πŸ˜‚ I'm seeing everything on here from complex software to Notion checklists so I'm thinking if there's value, folk will be keen...
Fabian Maume
Product hunt allows you to relaunch after 6 months if you have a major feature update, so I think it makes sense to try both from the maker side. From my experience, it is hard to get to the top 10 with an MVP, but top20 is doable.
Rich Taylor
@fabian_maume Yeah, I won't be chasing product of the day, I'll be looking for exposure. This will be my first PH experiment so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes πŸ€“
Fabian Maume
@flying_hacker what product do you plan to launch? Having a well establish hunter can help you a lot get exposure.
Rich Taylor
@fabian_maume I've heard this but wouldn't have a clue how to go about getting someone on board! I'm certainly not going to spam a bunch of people I don't know pestering them for their support! πŸ˜‚
Rich Taylor
@fabian_maume Sorry, I didn't answer the first part! - My first project is a community for makers to get them profitable as quickly as possible.
Paul VanZandt
We're launching somewhere in the middle. Not quite a fully-fledged launch but a little further along than our MVP. We're launching next week so you'll have to tap in to see how it goes!
Rich Taylor
@paul_vanzandt Ping me when you do, I'll check it out! Good luck! 🀞
Brent Alvord
@paul_vanzandt Looking forward to seeing it!! Good luck!
Dylan Merideth
Minimum VALUABLE Product. Accomplish the value proposition and nothing more, gotta validate before you go deep into dev
Eugene Tsalwa
I believe releasing the MVP first allows for people to grow with the product and gives more room for improvements while also getting participation. At least that is what I hope will happen as we launch later in the day.
Sergio Zaciu
We launched the mvp of our app to a small group of close friends last September, who we knew would try it out sincerely and give real, honest feedback. We haven't launched on PH yet (this June hopefull!) after honing that feedback to build something really special. I wouldn't call it a "fully fledged" launch with a big budget or anything, but we definitely want it to give a good first impression before marketing to a wide group of people we don't personally know. As @fabian_maume said, you can only relaunch every 6 months, and in B2C land, we expect it'll take _at least_ that long for someone to consider trying our product again if their first experience is less than spectacular. TL;DR launch with friends / people we know first. For PH, we've given it more time :)
Rich Taylor
@fabian_maume @szaciu - I'll aim for a combo of this I think. I can then not only use the friends for feedback but also get screenshots of a working product rather than having to mock everything up.
Kazimieras Melaika
I'd say fully fledged. You want to give the community your best product version. I think it would be a mistake to launch an MVP product here. Yeah, it will probably be cool too but it could cost you some people too. Worth working on a fully fledged PH launch. Btw, we’re launching in late May. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed habits, health, symptoms, and meds tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Rich Taylor
@kmelaika Thanks for your feedback πŸ™πŸ»
Rich Watson
I too have been going back and forth on this. The app we're working has 3 main features which get rolled out over time with the previous laying the ground work and hyping the latter. The first main feature is the foundation and core of the app- it's available right now but limited on where it can be used. When we implement the method of using it through the web app is when we'll start preparing for our launch. Then follow up 6 months later when we've finished it as a whole.
Vincent
MVP..!! I have an MVP and the main hold back i have is it is not optimized for mobile yet and mobile is important today. This is my first day (hour) on PH, where is the best place to learn what a 'PH launch' entails...?