Most VCs I met endorse and celebrate UNFAIR ADVANTAGE . What do founders think?

A. Onkar
6 replies
Countless brilliant founders and innovators with great products die poor as unsung heroes, without the elusive "Unfair Advantage" - Is it just a glorified term for secret political backing, business lineage, or access to capital disguised as superior technology (Theranos anyone) ? Or can unfair advantage be born out of pure merit?

Replies

Lakshmi
Sure, unfair advantage can be of pure merit when you've broken through a new technology and patented it. Or you have an advantage over other marketers with a 80% conversion rate etc. One form of unfair advantage is people influence, I don't think it is unfair despite me being a nobody who knows nobody. So my tip to you is, do not focus in on the 'unfair'.
A. Onkar
@gogloballakshmi appreciate your opinions. It is VC lingo so we're just trying to deconstruct what qualifies and what doesn't, based on fundraising experiences.
Lakshmi
@abhi_on oh you are in the stage where you are trying to understand the VCs.. You are on the right track. All the best!
Dagobert Renouf
I think it can be smaller than that, although it might not woo VC's as much. My unfair advantage is that my cofounder is my wife, so our team is rock solid 😁
A. Onkar
@dagorenouf you got an unfair advantage for eternity :D