Is your product idea based on your own need or you've found it externally?

Misha Krunic
23 replies
I think it would be interesting to see how people came up with the idea for the product they're working on. Obviously, you don't have to overshare if you don't feel like it, just some basic things. In my case, as I'm in the web scraping business for quite some time now, I've kind of naturally come to an idea to develop BotMeNot https://botmenot.com/ I would say that I've noticed a potential need/problem that website owners could fix by using BotMeNot. One of them is having peace of mind when it comes to your website's bot protection. Let me know - how about you?

Replies

Ivan Ralic
With http://collabwriting.com we are solving the problems we had in content production for my previous startup. We had incredible international results with our content: āžœ Ranking first among billion dollar competitors āžœ Creating standards for Project Management accepted by the PMI āžœ Always growing our blog with every Google update. When everyone dropped we grew. āžœ All this without outreach and link building (only content) But there still was a problem in a research stage of content creation that no one is solving. So we decided that enough is enough šŸ˜„
Misha Krunic
@ralic Looks like a great collaboration tool!
Brian Nutt
@ralic This is a great idea and product. Congrats on the launch and product itself.
Ivan Ralic
@brian_nutt thank you man I really appreciate it šŸ˜„
Valdis Takeris
My product - https://sanctionguard.com - idea definitely came from the need. A legit business needed to check customers against international sanction lists and we found out, that there are not many affordable solutions. So we built one for ourselves and as a next step transformed it as a service also for others. And - it happened even before Russian invasion in Ukraine, therefore we actually hit in a hot topic.
Misha Krunic
@valdist Wow, I like this idea! This seems like a very useful tool for businesses doing international trade.
Irina Heinz
In our case, the idea of the ASO-platform https://checkaso.io/ came from our needs. We started as an app promotion agency and we needed accurate mobile analytics. We saw imperfections in those that were on the market and decided to create our own, understanding how to make it more convenient and of higher quality, because we ourselves were practitioners. That's it.
Misha Krunic
@irina_heinz I understand. It's a pretty big step to start creating your own tools - congratulations on the success!
Launching soon!
The inspiration for my product originated from our own necessity. I was working in an organization and realized how important it is to recognize and reward the efforts of all the employees to keep them motivated. That is how I came up with Bravo, a multi-functional employee rewards & recognition platform.
Misha Krunic
@qudsia_ali First of all, I definitely agree with your findings - it's crucial to recognize the efforts of your employees if you want to keep the motivation high! Second - I like the idea of Bravo! Wish you luck with the launch!
Brian Nutt
Interestingly, we created a feature for our larger video personalization application that we are rolling out on its own because we think it has use. I say interestingly because it is a web scraping service to pick up brand elements like fonts, logos, brand palette and images/videos by just plugging in the url and pressing enter. I'd love your feedback on it. You can visit our Product Hunt upcoming products page to learn more and follow along. That page is here. www.producthunt.com/upcoming/adi...
Misha Krunic
@brian_nutt I've checked it out. Seems like a real time saver for designers when doing research on competing brands. Best of luck!
Geetanjali Shrivastava
Definitely outside - I'm working to build a solution that helps young professionals leverage their skills to find the right career paths,and the problem statement came from my observations as an educator, which was further validated by our market research.
Misha Krunic
@geetanjalishrivastava Sounds to me like you've got an excellent foundation on which you're developing your solution. Good luck!
Geetanjali Shrivastava
@price2spy Thanks for your wishes...fingers crossed for our launch coming up soon!
Allison
Same with me! My product - https://thesidekick.app/ - stemmed from my own need. I was spending so much time distracted online: spending hours watching Youtube/Netflix, scrolling on social media, messaging, etc. and I was left wondering 1: where did all my time go? 2: what about my dreams? So I built Sidekick to help me block distracting websites and intentionally block time for projects.
Wiktoria Jaszcza
@allison_mui "where did all my time go?" True :(
Misha Krunic
@allison_mui I think this is something most of us have had to deal with at some point. Very good to hear that you've found a solution for it!
Tony Yan
Base on my past experience.
Nicole Ogloza
Hi Misha, thanks for your post! I wish there was a button for both, becuase it comes from both experiences. In my case, mass media has altered the thoughts of a lot of people i know, so much so, that I had no idea where all of these perceptions were coming from, and how they were SO different (in terms of thinking). Then the topic of misinformation is so prevalent in today's world, that it is begging to be solved. It also stemmed from my needs, becuase I stopped watching TV completely. Losing out and not caring about #FOMO is the reason that TV/screens are so addictive. I would say the best ideas, stem from both needs, becuase you'll be really passionate to solve the problem!!!
Misha Krunic
@nicole_ogloza This is actually an interesting take, and now that I think about it perhaps I should have added the third option for "Both". Thanks for answering!