Is there a difference between how well B2B vs B2C products do on Product hunt launches?

Rucha Joshi
10 replies
I am curious if there is a significant difference in community engagement with the 2 product categories. Or is it just dependent on quality, social network size, launch day PH traffic? Does PH have any metrics on it?

Replies

Jonathan Massabni
Very curious as well. Did some research which suggests B2C has more engagement on launches. Cold calling types of approaches are still prominent and effective in B2B. I feel like it's probably hard for PH to generate metrics because as you mentioned, a data point like Quality must play an important role as well. But curious to know the answer!
Jonathan Massabni
@rucha_joshi8 Thanks! Much appreciated, will check back this thread as well. I used to work for a B2B startup. We got our biggest leads by "cold messaging" high ranked executives from large companies on Linkedin. Now I work in Banking but releasing a Travel app. It's both B2B and B2C, so this question is very relevant for us :)
Rucha Joshi
@jonathanm Hmm yes, you're right. I'll keep you posted if I uncover anything else on this. What type of product are you working on - B2B or B2C?
Misha Krunic
I'm not sure, but this is a very interesting topic I'd also like to learn more about!
Alina Ihnatiuk
B2B and B2C product marketing and launches look very different overall but do have some areas that overlap. The biggest difference between these two types of launches is that most often with B2B sales you have fewer customers but you sell each of them more stuff, whereas with consumers you often have more customers but you only sell each one or two. That will really help you as you begin to think through your launch and marketing. As for PH - I think a lot depends on the traffic on a particular day. PH is by far the site that gets you most traffic every time โ€” itโ€™s a solid investment Thanks to their API, youโ€™ll get featured on other sites/apps/browser extensions like usepanda.com or muzli.com that are additional traffic boosters.
Minal Joshi Jaeckli
Rucha, I have no idea, but that's a great question and I'd love to know what conclusion you draw from this poll. Minal
Rucha Joshi
@minal_at_openelevator Thanks, Minal. I'll let you know, if I find any new leads ๐Ÿ˜…
Solomon Bush
Although this is just anecdotal, from what I have seen the top launches are normally B2B. I think this is because most of the active users on PH are consultants, marketers, and builders/founders. I also see a lot of opensource tools hitting the top 5. But imo the best launches are either well planned or really good ideas - regardless of target audience.
Rucha Joshi
@solomon_bush That's a great insight. I agree products with the best planned launches + good ideas are generally doing well here.
Iulian Stahi
Sponsorship is possible, even without a large investment of capital. It is necessary to be imaginative and use your field of activity to help even with your production products or leftovers from it.