Is Producthunt the right platform to launch a chrome extension?

Abel G. weldu
29 replies
We are currently working on a chrome extension that doesn't target any specific target audience( Anyone with the extension would find it helpful irrespective of their profession, location, or interest)? Is PH the right platform for such launches? We would also love to know if there are alternative platforms out there?

Replies

Pablo Fatas
I have seen many people launch extensions on here that have done well. If it is a product you think people are interested in then go for it! :)
Fabian Maume
PH launch deserve a try. I had good result hunting this chrome extension. 150 app store visits and 50 new installs. There is a specific topic for chrome extension: https://www.producthunt.com/topi.... Do not forget to tag it in your product launch.
Abel G. weldu
@fabian_maume Thank you for the feedback @fabian_maume. Cool product btw. I will def forward it to our head of marketing for the company I work fulltime for. Any other advice you can give me to get more downloads on the extension?
Fabian Maume
@abel_product What is the target group for your extension? Does it have a free plan?
Abel G. weldu
@fabian_maume We are looking at only a free version rollout for now, with some additional features upon signup. The product can be used by literally anyone that spends 30 min + browsing on chrome every day. But, users who use any social media on their browsers would find the product to be more useful. I would love to share more on the idea once we have the branding content wrapped along with the upcoming page. Hope to hear more from you.
Abel G. weldu
Hi @fabian_maume, here is the product. Please let me know your feedback.
Amanda Adamson
It all depends on the quality of the product. If the product is useful, then why not!
Ruben Wolff
PH totally is a good platform for this launch. Not sure about other platforms but no doubt this one can be helpful for a successful launch
Florian Buguet
Definitely! Why not? What does your target user look like? Depending on the answer, you might also want to consider Hacker News and other sites like Betalist, Betapage and Indie hackers
Abel G. weldu
@flobbgt Thank you for the feedback. Anyone that spends more than 1hr+ per day on their browser would be an ideal target. I will check out the platforms you have mentioned as well.
Abel G. weldu
Awesome product @sanskar_tiwari . the numbers look solid as well. Any specific advice(do/don't) from your experience during your launch? Would love to hear more.
Daniel Farkas
We are in the same boat it seems. As we are about to launch on PH for the first time ever, I'm quite confused about the whole process, and the best course of action. Our extension recognizes tabular data from your currently active browser tab and enables you to analyze it interactively. I have a feeling that having a useful product is not sufficient. You have to reach the right audience, and be very clear about the benefits for them specifically.
Abel G. weldu
@bup Hmm that's actually an exciting project. I would love to hear about your launch plan. I am assuming your launch is closer than ours(within a month or so). Have you already set up an upcoming product page? I am still trying to find if I can find hunters to get the ball rolling.
Daniel Farkas
@abel_product I'm still clueless about the best way to launch here. The extension is already published at the Chrome Web Store: https://chrome.google.com/websto...
Siddhesh Lokare
It definitely is! I have come across a bunch of Chrome extensions through PH only. All you have to do is integrate this PH launch with Indiehackers, Twitter, and hackernoon. But trust me, this is a perfect place for an extension launch as most of the PH users are on the web and looking for extensions to simplify their tasks.
Abel G. weldu
That's a great point @siddhesh_lokare1 . I have noticed PH's mobile app lacks most of the features. I also reckon most of the users here to be on the web. Excited to see how this might go. I might struggle with the indiehacker's invite for now lol.
Tomass
We launched a Chrome extension called Vaazo on PH last week and it gave a very good boost! But I would still advise you to have at least some idea of the perfect audience you would like to have for your extension. It is a lot easier to build communication around specific problems the product solves for the person than trying to sell it to everyone!
Abel G. weldu
Thank you for the advice @tomass_tomsevics, and really helpful product. Did you see a spike in install after your PH launch?
Tomass
@abel_product Yes, you could definitelly say so. We also discovered more things we can improve in our product.
Svetlana Bulega
We are uploading all the possible updates of our product, R4P Customer Catcher, releases here. Including an extension. So hopefully yes!😺