Is it worth changing to the open software model (in terms of SaaS)?

Szczepan Serwatka
8 replies
Open software model - pros & cons? I find that many proposals refer to open software. I've got loads of questions about the viability of the model, but these are key ones from my perspective: - Where to start? - How to do it right? - What to watch out for? For whom is this model ideal/definitely not an option?

Replies

Manuel Astudillo
I am not sure my advice would be so helpful here but I did it the other way around: having an open source product and then after the product had gained a lot of traction try to build a Saas product around it to monetize it. In my case I provided a "dashboard" that helps the users of my open source library to get better insights in how it is working, and I also provide hosting although this is not required in order to use the dashboard. - Where to start? In my case I just created a library that became very successful after putting an insane amount of work on it and promoting it on the right channels. - How to do it right? The most important pieces to succeed with an open source project are in my opinion: provide as good documentation as you possibly can and then a bit more, and be very responsive fixing bugs, and giving support to your users (it takes a LOT of time). Interestingly I do not open-source the dashboard itself, that is closed software. My rationale here is that my product is very niched and if I also open sourced the dashboard I would cannibalise my own customers... if you are curious, this is the product I am talking about: https://taskforce.sh
Devanand Premkumar
@manuel_astudillo Nicely said Manual. The initial visibility it brings to your core services is absolutely huge. Adding to that, it also gives us a bit of traction in the market and trust factors go up which are again big in my humble opinion.
Eugene Hauptmann
@manuel_astudillo 💯on the time commitment. Also while it is open-source, it is still a product. And it has to deliver, whatever value user expects to get out of it.
Eugene Hauptmann
I started doing open source because of RedHat's inspiration back in the days. Today I love these hybrid models of open-source and business on top of it: - gatsbyjs.com - vercel.com - serverless.com
Devanand Premkumar
@eugenehp Just the mention of RedHat brings me nostalgic memories of me installing the RedHat v5 on a 2 GB HDD. Good old days for sure. Interest in open source and usage of such useful ones have very much benefited me as an individual user and I truly think this can benefit organizations as well.
Szczepan Serwatka
@eugenehp I need to check hybrid models and get to more info and data. I have an idea but a lot of concerns, especially related to business model and revenue.
Apk Android Club
Very nice information, thanks for everything. You can also check this website https://apkandroidclub.com/