If there was a self-cooked meal that best described you as a person, what would it be?

Stuti Agarwal
17 replies
I recently read the book 'I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti' by Giulia Melucci, in which the author so brilliantly describes her journey of looking for and surviving in love through the meals she cooked for the boys. I could relate to it because I myself had the overwhelming understanding of sharing love and a bit of yourself through food when I began making rotis for my family. Nothing beats the feeling of the smell of ghee on the perfect roti and the round of your loved ones breaking into it.

Replies

Mayank Gupta
The end product is more or less going to be fine as always. But the way I cook is more important. I like the process more, the way I start thinking about what to cook and how to cook a day before actually cooking. The way I organize all the ingredients, planning which to chop first and how to chop it. The choice of knife, how that sharp knife glides through the slices of onion and the perfect size for all cuts! Damn man!! I love that feeling. Then cleaning the kitchen after cooking. This gives me Dopamine! And on that note, my favourite chicken sandwich every weekend with a can of beer maybe. And also chicken chettinad with rice and curd. Or grilled chicken with a pint of bira white <3 Or a comforting baked mac n cheese with beer, again! Is what would describe me best.
Mayank Gupta
@stuti I am indeed a good cook. But not a good food photographer. Need to join a class for that. What say?
Stuti Agarwal
@mayank_gupta11 you’re right! The cleaning after is such a cathartic feeling. And I’m salivating from all that you mentioned!
Stuti Agarwal
@mayank_gupta11 I’ve heard this great new e-learning platform has an excellent class on it! Habbit it’s called. :)
Varsha Anil
Cooking/ Baking has always been a way for me to relax. Although everyone at home are concerned about me cooking after a stressful day as they find cooking to be chore, I absolutely love it! It's not a meal, but the essence of cooking that describes me as a person. What I mean by that is how the same set of ingredients are widely used to make a dozen dishes and yet they all taste so different from each other. For example, eggs. Everyone has their preferred way to eat eggs, but ultimately the final dish almost always contains, egg, oil, salt and pepper. What matters most to me is when I'm able to cook for the people I love. Makes my day!
Somnath Sandeep
@varshaanil I absolutely love this! I understand it's the process itself, not the end product, but can you tell me a couple of dishes which'd describe you as a person?
Varsha Anil
@somnathsandeep Banana Bread that I bake or Mom's Spicy Peanut Chutney
Somnath Sandeep
@varshaanil Karam egg dose with peanut chutney is home!!!
Stuti Agarwal
@varshaanil that is so beautiful. Never thought of how equalising the essence of cooking actually is.
Mayank Gupta
@varshaanil I so agree with you, the way I cook is what describes me.
Somnath Sandeep
Turkish poached eggs on a sunday morning, or Goan fish curry on a saturday afternoon. Can you tell me more recipes of yours, which'd describe you as a person @stuti
Stuti Agarwal
@somnathsandeep thank you for sharing! You have to get me to try the Goan Fish Curry. Although you might disown me after. You know, how is The Holiday, Jack Black says, “Iris, if you were a melody” and plays this beautiful melody he has composed for her? If I were a dish, I’d be, my potato mash on a slice of toasted bread.
Somnath Sandeep
@stuti hahaha did you just identify yourself as a potato? 😂 also, gonna watch the holiday on netflix now to get the reference
Stuti Agarwal
@somnathsandeep I’m the comfort of a buttery, soft garlicky mash (with a hint of chilli) on a crisp toast.
RASHI JAIN
It would be vegetable oats... Because it has very simple ingredients and is light on your stomach, you can have it at any time of the day and the effort required is very less to cook it. I could relate it to myself as I am a simple being, who is very easy to engage with anyone and anywhere. I find happiness in little things and value every person, thing around me.
Stuti Agarwal
@thunderbird27 if you have a recipe for it, do share!