I think it is possible to create an alternative to official app stores

Kacper Raubo
10 replies
In my opinion the alternative is a free, open and general space with software, which lives above the app stores, apps’ websites, devices and apps themselves and treats the first two as building blocks of the greater system. It is a place which enables you, as a developer, to distribute, and, as a user, to get to know, create an account, buy and download any application, giving you, at the same time, a choice of where you can do that. This way, implementing such a general and ultimate model, the alternative neither competes with app stores, using them as its element, not enemies, nor with apps's producers, in fact encouraging users both to visit their website and buy apps from there. An early version of the solution is available on Product Hunt - https://www.producthunt.com/post..., the vision of the future of this project on my Twitter -https://twitter.com/raubo_/statu...

Replies

Manoj Ranaweera
Techcelerate Member Company is attempting to do this with https://plugin.io/ - not yet fully launched.
Kacper Raubo
@manojranaweera, interesting. Could you say more? From what I can see, the Plugin creates external, closed ecosystem with apps, but based on cryptocurrency.
Rafael Matthews
@manojranaweera Hey thank you for that reply it will be helpful if you get back soon i had the same question thats why.Prepaid Gift Balance
William Wildridge
Google and Apple charge a fee per app sold, they use this partly to help review app store apps and remove fraudulent / copyright infringing / dangerous apps. How would trust and safety work in a free model?
Kacper Raubo
@william_wildridge, well, the platform should be free, that is what I think. The "free" means both money, privacy and, what is the most important, a choice - a freedom of choice. In my opinion, the freedom of choice means that users should have an option to download an app both from a producer's website, from an official app store or directly from the platform. An option to buy the app from producer's website, from an app store or the platform itself. It should look the same regarding developers - they should have an option to decide how they want their users to download their app and using what option they want to sell it. The platform would be on top, as an aggregator of all possible activities concerning software. And here is the point. If they would decide to use the platform itself for selling their app, a fee also would have to be charged. But in my opinion it should not be 30%, but 1-5%. Hence, I believe that the platform would have money for providing safety and earning trust.
Ste
Pretty neat website for product discovery. I'm skeptical about the business model, as distribution is the most difficult thing to build. But as a tool for showing me different tools, works great. Maybe you can work out some affiliate model for paid apps.
Kacper Raubo
@stelian_dobrescu1, right. Maybe an affiliate model, maybe commissions. I believe that there indeed are options to earn money for maintaining this platform.
Ste
@raubo Yeah, either works. I really like the layout, I think it's among the best I've seen for product discovery. Maybe even pivot into something like Makerpad would work, who knows. Good luck!
Dani Danar
Thanks for share about ur experience my friend. This groundbreaking alternative envisions a free and open digital space that transcends traditional app stores, seamlessly integrating them into a cohesive system. It empowers developers to distribute software and allows users the freedom to explore, create accounts, purchase, and download applications while maintaining the flexibility to choose their preferred sources. Unlike traditional models, it doesn't compete with app stores or producers but leverages them as integral elements. The project's early version on Product Hunt and visionary insights shared on Twitter reflect its commitment to innovation and transparency, promising a transformative impact on the digital landscape. Regards : Tekniksipil